Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Could I be in an uglier spot with an overpair?

Lets see he's either slowplaying or has one of three hands: AQ, 99, KK. AA may be playing cautiously here. Anoyone think I'm crazy for wanting to check here?

Edit: Talking about the turn.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:14 PM

now I would check it for fear of a check-raise. If AA/QQ/JJ/TT are out there, they are afraid you have AK or a higher set but are calling in hopes of filling up or holding up at showdown (when you have AA/KK). But they may not bet the turn for fear that you are trapping them with AK. Your flop bet may have bought you a free card on the turn.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:43 PM

Everyone that's advocating checking the turn...what do we do if it's checked through and the river is a blank?

If it's 2 bets back to us?

If UTG checks and MP3 bets it?

That was my point in posting this hand (well, that and I wasn't really sure about the way I did play it). This is a situations where we probably got outflopped, but any other hand short of AK is still going to be nervous about putting in bets. And if by some miracle we are still good, hands like AQ will probably justify calling another on the turn, and maybe making a crying call on the river as well.

I thought it made for a really interesting scenario.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess now you bet/call again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-18-2005, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Y'all should know that I never check the flop after capping preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Ummmm....okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

One way of looking at it is that someone made the obligatory flop bet (if it hadn't been you, it probably would have been someone else), and now it's time for the real action to start on the turn.

That's how it often works, isn't it?

I don't think we necessarily know much more now about where we stand than we knew on the flop.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A hand I played earlier today. UTG has respectable TAG numbers over a decent sample size, but my notes on him say that he has real problems folding his PFR hands postflop. MP3 is unknown and joined the table less than orbit prior.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Okay, smart guys....what's our street by street plan on this one?

I mean, besides backdooring a royal flush. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lovely. One difficulty here is that if you bet, you're not going to learn much. Preflop raising hands can find a reason to call, 3-betting hands (even AQ) can as well, and we can't rule out a semibluff-raise from a hand like KQ.

Whether your opponents call or raise, it's going to be hard to figure out what that means.