Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Could I be in an uglier spot with an overpair?

A hand I played earlier today. UTG has respectable TAG numbers over a decent sample size, but my notes on him say that he has real problems folding his PFR hands postflop. MP3 is unknown and joined the table less than orbit prior.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Okay, smart guys....what's our street by street plan on this one?

I mean, besides backdooring a royal flush. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Could I be in an uglier spot with an overpair?

how about check/calling because you are against 2pair, straight, and flush draws. You don't want to put lots of money in versus the made straight or the 2 pair hands. Unfortunately it will be tough if not impossible to deceipher who is on the flush draw.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:05 AM

don't play 5/10, but i would checkraise the flop and lead the turn if not played back at. if it gets three bet, we have a discounted straight draw due to the likelyhood that there AK is very likely to be one of our opponents holdings.

if we check and it's two back to us, i would most likely flat call and see what happens from there.

this could be horrible, but getting flamed would be equally as helpful as being right.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:28 AM

I check/call the flop.

You're not worried about giving free/cheap cards and the 3bettors range has you crushed at the moment.

The turn is dependant on action and card.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:30 PM

I would just call here and hope to hit a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the turn for your backdoor flush. AK/AA is such a distinct possibility that you don't want to put in too many bets with this hand.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:37 PM

ewwww this flop is gross. While check/calling after capping preflop seems weak I think this is probably the best play here, but make sure you concentrate on turning the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as well (this is important).
Old 12-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Seems like a good spot to check/call donw unless we make a straight. Very good chance we're behind to a better hand.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:52 PM

c/c. If flop by some miracle checks through, bet turn. If MP3's the only one doing the betting then I'm probably check/calling the river as well if two blanks fall since he's unknown. The only times you're ahead here the opponent's don't have many outs. You're likely behind and drawing. So I really see no reason to put in more bets than necessary on the flop.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:54 PM

Y'all should know that I never check the flop after capping preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Ummmm....okay?

EDIT: Check/call is probably the best line here. I just very rarely convince myself to check the flop after raising, let alone capping.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:06 PM

I guess now you bet/call again.