Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: NYC Transit Strike: TWU declares series of strikes

only a general strike is illegal(I'm just referring to naitonal law, I don't know specific NY law on that)
Old 12-16-2005, 01:32 PM

The law that apply here is the Taylor Law, which is a NY law. which forbids any state or municipal employee from striking.

There is another law that applies to federal employees that was enacted after the postal strike
Old 12-16-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only a general strike is illegal(I'm just referring to naitonal law, I don't know specific NY law on that)

[/ QUOTE ]

also, murder is illegal. not sure of the specifics with respect to NY employees. hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:36 PM

in NYS and NYC Muni workers can't strike under the taylor , which is a load of crap. Taking away the right/ability to strike is taking a weapon out of the Union Arsenal. However when they do strike, threaten, or walk out part of the negotations is they drop all fines/charges etc against the Unions "usually". IE you cant arrest the entire brotherhood if you sent the president to Jail it only make union stronger/fight more.

Its a huge cat and mouse game.

However in the EU they strike for 10 minutes or do a work "slow down" for a day and they get what they want.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:41 PM

To clarify, I am not taking issue with the value of a strike as a bargianing tool or with the use of that leverage by unions. I am simply stating my opinion that they are not getting a raw deal presently.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in NYS and NYC Muni workers can't strike under the taylor , which is a load of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what a load of crap preventing a union from essentially shutting down a city of 8 million people.

What an ignorant statement. So you think it should be ok for fire fighters, police officers, corrections officers, and sanitation workers to strike whenever then want?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:14 PM

you think its fair that they should have to work with out contract and fair pay?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:22 PM

At first I was a neutral observer in this whole strike mess (although I was definitely secretly rooting for a strike for just today to make it a 3-day weekend).

Then I read that a subway cleaner makes about $40k/year, and a station agent makes over $50K (and both obviously get some very nice union benefits).

And that's when I realized that the MTA should just let the TWU walk off the job, and then turn around and hire 33,000 people in this city who would kill to make $40 G's for picking up trash or $50 G's for sitting in a box and reading a newspaper (or magazine, if that is your preference).

They'd probably fill all spots in about 24 hours.

Edit: I don't share this opinion on the bus drivers at ~ $63K. I think they should get a significant raise and deserve it. That's a tough-ass job. I'd never, ever, ever, want that job.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:26 PM

"Then I read that a subway cleaner makes about $40k/year, and a station agent makes over $50K (and both obviously get some very nice union benefits)."

This is what I was trying to say when I was too lazy to look up the exact numbers. My opinion is also shaped by the fact that I have ever nor has anyone I know ever actually recieved help/friendliness from the people in the little booths at each subway stop. I'm all for unions but these guys are not underpaid.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you think its fair that they should have to work with out contract and fair pay?

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have said they're being way overpaid already. They don't strike because they're being mistreated in any way. I find all their demands absolutely unreasonable and a tactic to get them pushed through by shutting down public transportation in New York nothing less than criminal.