Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: WPT Bellagio Five Diamond - Day Four (Official 5 Diamond Thread!)

[ QUOTE ]
yet another play i'm not capable of making ... who else could call all-in with 73o pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds, guys. Plus, he was the shortest stack in the tournament. The initial raise was certainly debatable, but the call once Patrik put him all in is pretty automatic (assuming the 188K is total, not a 188K reraise). And even if it was a 188K reraise, Giga's still getting 2:1.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Ugh. This one's probably close to fatal:

Mike Gracz doubles through Darrell Dicken
Darrell Dicken raised to 60K from under the gun, James Van Alstyne called from the cutoff, and Mike Gracz pushed in from the big blind for 113K more. Dicken pushed in over the top and Van Alstyne folded. The players turned up:

Mike Gracz J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Darrell Dicken A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The board came 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and Gracz's pocket jacks held to double him up.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But then:

Darrell Dicken doubles through Jeff Littlefield
Jeff Littlefield raised to 75K from the button and Darrell Dicken pushed in from the big blind for an additional 256K. Littlefield called and the players showed:

Darrell Dicken A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Jeff Littlefield A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The board gave Dicken quads to double up when it came 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Eh, decent board. Sounds like Giga's back up to close to 700K or so - still below average, but manageable. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yet another play i'm not capable of making ... who else could call all-in with 73o pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds, guys. Plus, he was the shortest stack in the tournament. The initial raise was certainly debatable, but the call once Patrik put him all in is pretty automatic (assuming the 188K is total, not a 188K reraise). And even if it was a 188K reraise, Giga's still getting 2:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

"pot odds" ... yes, i know. it's still hard for me to visualize myself putting all my money in with 73o when i figure that my best case against any reasonable range for the villain has me as a 40% dog and the price i'm being offered isn't much better than that.

however, my initial read was that Gigabet called an incremental 188K but i can see how i could be mistaken.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
however, my initial read was that Gigabet called an incremental 188K but i can see how i could be mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right, it's hard to know what they mean.

BTW, nice location!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 06:54 PM

Why not open push then, if you have any intention of calling all-in? Maybe the blinds were too small? Or were there any other players in the pot that he wouldn't have called? Or could he possibly be thinking that a standard raise would look stronger to a thinking player given his stack? Interesting stuff.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Chip Count at the 15-minute break:
1 Joanne 'J.J.' Liu $ 2,383,000
2 Patrik Antonius $ 2,334,000
3 Doyle Brunson $ 1,868,000
4 Phil Laak $ 1,330,000
5 Rehne Pedersen $ 1,280,000
6 Bengt Sonnert $ 985,000
7 Peter Costa $ 923,000
8 Joe Cassidy $ 886,000
9 James Van Alstyne $ 876,000
10 Jeff Rine $ 780,000
11 Jeff Littlefield $ 757,000
12 Ron Kirk $ 662,000
13 David Levi $ 607,000
14 Darrell Dicken $ 477,000
15 Mike Gracz $ 418,000

Average Now: $1,104,000
Final Table Average (9): $1,840,667
TV Table Average (6): $2,761,000
Old 12-15-2005, 07:01 PM

Any idea what the blinds are?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"pot odds" ... yes, i know.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're playing 10-20-3. Playing nine-handed (18 remaining) means there's 57 in the pot. Giga appears to raise 50 more; that plus Antonius's 70 call totals 177. So Darrell is getting just a shade under 2:1 for the call, assuming he calls an incremental 188 (which is how I read it as well).

Against a random hand, that's about an even-money call. I suspect Giga's view is that if he mucks, his stack will have absolutely zero FE; thus, even though a call is probably -EV (Antonio's range is tighter than any two, because he knows Dicken must call) mucking is even more -EV.

And what is it with this "Duke Sucks" disease? Fark appears to be infections, especially to the Blue Devils among us.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Any idea what the blinds are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Going up again right now:

LEVEL 19 - $12K/$24K with a $3K ante. $57K or $60K per orbit depending on which table you're at.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And what is it with this "Duke Sucks" disease?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll give you a couple of hints:
a) 1992 NCAAs
b) Christian Laettner's foot
c) Aminu Timberlake's chest (Kentucky forward)

any questions?