Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-16-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Dating someone bi-polar

My sister is bi-poler, and my advice is it depends on how severe it is for her (or him?) and how calm and level-headed you are

I've always had a good relationshop with my sister, but I am a very calm person (maybe because of this?). It can be hard sometimes, like when they do something ridiculous, can you blame them? Is it their fault, or is it out of their control and therefor not their fault? I dunno.

For example, suppose they request something ridiculous. You can either:

1) comply, but risk giving him/her the impression that they 'deserve' to get what they want whenever they ask for it.

2) not comply, but risk infuriating them. Is it worth it?

I've been faced with this choice many times. Obviously each situation is a little different, like if she says "pass me that fork" you probably should, but if she says "cook all my meals and clean my house every day" you should probably not.

But yeah, if during one of their bad moods you can keep calm, talk in a normal voice, and think logically (not forgetting their condition) then you got a chance I reckon
Old 12-16-2005, 04:22 AM

i love lamictal <3
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 AM

No, I have not dated anyone bipolar.

I have found however that being bipolar and depressive brings down your chances a bit.

RB
Old 12-16-2005, 07:14 AM

if bi-polar is anything like bi-sexual you might be able to get a hot 3 way going
Old 12-16-2005, 08:00 PM

I personally wouldn't allow bipolar disorder to automatically disqualify a potential mate. However, I would advise you to be cognizant of special needs related to her illness. If you're truly interested you might start out by educating yourself on the illness. Having insight will enable you to more effectively deal with everyday challenges or even a crisis. I think your mileage will vary based on how willing you are to invest time and energy being an active participant in the management of the diease.

These considerations will become even more imperative if you move from casual dating to a serious intimate relationship. Then you will likely find it highly beneficial (if not absolutely necessary) to be proactive in the treatment of her disease. For example, you might drive her to scheduled appointments, attend medical appointments together, remind her to take her medications, call the doctor if you notice her becoming manic, etc. Is it worth expending this much effort? Only you can make this assessment based on your personal appraisal of your relationship's value.

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you feel rich."