Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: 88

folding is probably fine but i'd rather peel and see what the turn brings.

you could always find:

(a) the miracle 8 on the turn

(b) the mysterious 7

(c) that the turn gets checked through

without one of these three things happening no more bets are going in to this pot

(unless, incredibly unlikely, villain #1 c/r's and villain #2 just calls and then, you're probably in a heapload of trouble but getting 1:21 on your money and are always peeling always closing the action)
Old 12-14-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could always find:
(a) the miracle 8 on the turn
(b) the mysterious 7

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have a plan for these instances?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:12 PM

Of course, if it were HU the pot would also be smaller; and he might be trickier. So there's that caveat.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:15 PM

i think i'd donk and hope to 3bet pretty much always, but it's easier with the other fish in between
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 PM

as opposed to planning to invest 1.5sb just to see where we are... why not see where we are on the turn? i noted earlier how your situation could improve dramatically... what if another face/ace card falls on the turn? what if villain #1 wakes up?

in other words... you're likely behind but it's close, and the turn can change things dramatically, either by what falls or what the action is...

why put in so much money now, when we're unsure?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:23 PM

ok....so I guess peeling the flop isn't too bad. But if we get bet into on the turn again I think folding is best (even if the turn is a non A or K) Once the pre-flop capper bets again on the turn, the chances of him having AK or AQ goes down, especially if the original limper comes along for the turn, in which case, the case becomes stronger for hightailing it out of there on the turn.

I just hate spewing chips w/middle pairs in a pot that was capped pre-flop. From experience, we seen a big pair a lot more often that we see big cards.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 PM

Yeah, I saw the error of my ways pretty quickly. I hate raising the flop now, but I really dislike folding too. I'm convinced a peel is best.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:29 PM

that was assuming an 8. if a 7 comes i c/call. i c/fold u/i on the river. i c/r or bet out depending on the card that completes the straight and how i feel about this opponent.

if the turn checks through i'm leading blank rivers. if it's an A i c/fold. likewise K. Q it's close. might c/call.

i'll lead a T river.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I saw the error of my ways pretty quickly. I hate raising the flop now, but I really dislike folding too. I'm convinced a peel is best.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well... I raised... and then continued spewing on the turn...

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 8.
3 folds, MP2 (Villian #1) calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO (Villian #2) raises</font>, 1 fold, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, 1 fold, MP2 (Villian #1) calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO (Villian #2) caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 (Villian #1) calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 6, 5, J (3 players)
Hero checks, Villian #1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian #2 bets</font>,

<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Villian #1 calls, Villian #2 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>

I think at the time I thought I was definitely ahead of Villian #2. If I wasn't he was smooth-calling the flop and waiting to raise the turn.

I also thought that Villian #1 would have to have a pretty good hand here to continue. I thought that he'd fear being trapped between me and Villian #2 if he called. I thought that the chance I'm still ahead of Villian #1 and the possibility that he'd fold a better hand (99/TT) were good enough to warrant a bet.

This was the last bet that I intended to put in the pot UI. Looking at this now - I'm pretty confident that I spew goot! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 PM

I will say again, I hate putting multiple bets into capped pre-flop pots with middle pair. Having multiple players in the pot just multiplies my feelings.