Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Drugs: The new candy?

[ QUOTE ]
Youre right, sugar and high fructose corn syrup to some extent mimick the effects of some drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What drugs do those substances mimic the effects of, and to what extent?

I don't want to hear, "well, sugar is a stimulant and so is cocaine," either. Please make a coherent argument.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Youre right, sugar and high fructose corn syrup to some extent mimick the effects of some drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to hear, "well, sugar is a stimulant and so is cocaine," either. Please make a coherent argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe some one here can eat a ridiculous amount (like several pounds) of sugar and post a trip report.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe some one here can eat a ridiculous amount (like several pounds) of sugar and post a trip report.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get someone with diabetes to do it, to make it more interesting.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But after they puked, the geniuses would be telling us that sugar was JUST LIKE alcohol AND heroin, because it has the exact same effect if you consume too much.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:59 PM

research in the last few years has shown that the areas in the brain activated by such addicting substances as nicotine or heroin are pretty much the same (particularly once you become a regular user).

such "addiction pathways" are also similarly activated in the brains of people who regularly consume significant quantities of fat and sugar.

essentially being "addicted" looks (in a brain mri) very much the same regardless of the particular substance. the variability actually lies in the number of doses required to light up this pathway.

...thus i think what you are saying is essentially supported by the research.

as a whole, we tend to underestimate the power of sugar or fat related addiction versus more conventionaly known addicting substances such as nicotine.

....on a side note, deacsoft it seems fairly likely that if you were to give up smoking you would find yourself replacing the nicotine with sugar once again (especially in the absence of other nicotine delivering products).

cheers,
sean
Old 12-13-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt phrase this correctly, sorry. What I meant to say was that sugary products can be addictive, and in that sense mimic drugs in your brain.

Of course sugar has no psychotropic effect, neither do cigarettes, and people are addicted to those as well but nobody would assert that smoking 10 butts at once will get you as wasted as doing an eightball. That being said nobody would argue that just because nicotine isnt getting you "wasted" it isnt forming a dependence just as heroin or cocaine would.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course sugar has no psychotropic effect, neither do cigarettes

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the most uneducated responce thus far.

EDIT:

psy·cho·tro·pic
adj.

Having an altering effect on perception, emotion, or behavior. Used especially of a drug.

EDIT2: You can trip off nicotine, i've done it before. Ever heard of a sugar-buzz?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 PM

"research in the last few years has shown that the areas in the brain activated by such addicting substances as nicotine or heroin are pretty much the same (particularly once you become a regular user). "

Uh, no. You are a [censored] moron.

"Addiction pathways" have nothing to do with effect jackass.

Heroin and Nicotine have nothing in common other than the fact that they are "addictive," as is, of course sugar.

Oh no!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT2: You can trip off nicotine, i've done it before. Ever heard of a sugar-buzz?

[/ QUOTE ]

lightweight
Old 12-14-2005, 12:03 AM

I hate all the [censored] money we pour into research on things like fat & sugar addictions. It always strikes me as trying desperately to tell the fatass american public that its ok to be fat, because its not their fault - after all, they're addcited. Its similar to the problem I have with the approach AA takes to alcoholism. You have a disease, its not your fault. Yup.

This reeks of the kind of people who would sue McDonalds for making them fat. Bleh.

IH is the man atm.