Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: travelling to japan

Aikikai Hombu Dojo. Definitely post a trip report of what you do wind up seeing. A Pride fight would be cool, too.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 PM

Ginkakuji in Kyota is beautiful. Tokyo and Osaka have lotsa fun spots. Nagoya and Hiroshima are not as much fun.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Most of japan speaks english..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true
Old 12-14-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Most of japan speaks english..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I can second this, since I was in Japan just this past summer. Most Japanese ARE familiar with common words and phrases, but to say most of them can speak English is a bit of an overstatement.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$100/day ???

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
yes. I'm in college and this is my working budget. my uncle says he budgets this much when he travels, and he's not a poor man. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this is not to include your accomodation budget. I gather you are staying with your uncle in Kyoto but if exploring other areas like Tokyo this probably won't cut it, as a room in a hotel that caters to Westerners (and has an English speaking staff, but maybe you speak some Japanese so it won't matter) can easily cost $250/night, sometimes much more. You could opt to stay in hotels that cater to Japanese travelers, which can be cheaper but the rooms are postage stamps and English is usually not spoken. Or in Tokyo (and perhaps elsewhere) there is always the capsule hotels, where you sleep in what is essentially a human-sized kennel.

Food in Japan can be outrageously expensive, but doesn't have to be. Every depato (department store) has a food court in the basement with lots of inexpensive options. Or go to a noodle bar.

Kyoto is a great base and probably the best city in Japan for the tourist - hundreds of temples and shrines and examples of beautiful Japanese gardens and architechture. Tokyo is an absolute concrete jungle but has the best shopping and nightlife. If I was young, single and in Tokyo I'd probably be heading to Kabuki-cho.

Make sure to get off the train and take a gander at Mt Fuji when you pass by. Since it's wintertime you won't be able to climb it but the national park it's located in is very picturesque. I was in Japan around the same time last year as you will be there this year - it was cold. Dress appropriately.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:29 PM

yeah I probably should've explained better, I'm staying with my uncle. the $100/day figure is how much I figure to spend on food/fares/admission prices throughout my travels. I don't anticipate staying anywhere else overnight for longer than two nights total. wow, that's really important and I should've mentioned it.

thank you very much for the tips.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 AM

I've lived in Osaka (just down the road from Kyoto) for 15 years. Don't worry about the language, your uncle will be able to help you out and folks are very friendly (especially off the beaten track). Also $100 a day is plenty if you don't have to worry about accomodation.

I recommend the Blarney Stone Pub in Osaka for a good night out - though I do have a (literal) vested interest.