Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 02:01 PM

Default travelling to japan

from dec 27th to jan 11 I'll be visiting my uncle in Kyoto, Japan. I've never been there before, and don't speak a lick of japanese. I figure to spend somewhere around $100 per day, and I will have a rail pass.

any thoughts on the places I should visit in the country?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: travelling to japan

nudie bars
Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Most of my time in Japan has been spent in the big cities. Tokyo, Kobe and Kyoto were the best use of my time. I didn't do much in the way of tourist attractions; I loved the hot springs in Kyoto, the technological district in Tokyo and pretty much any monastary i could find, but I don't have much in the way of specific recommendations for you. There is, however, a secret to travelling in Japan.

Learn a couple of key phrases. Every time my large caucasian frame produced an 'arigato', the people I was communicating with were delighted and went out of their way to be helpful. If I'd ask for directions, they'd actually take me to my destination. In a Yokohama train station, I asked where to find a taxi using an awful english-Japanese dictionary and the little old man I asked took my two suitcases (One filled with books), carried them up four flights of stairs and put them in a cab for me. That's how much they appreciate the effort.

While you're there, I highly recommend trying to find some Zabuton. It's steak that's been massaged and beer-soaked for 24 hours and might be the best this steak-lover has ever had. It's also rare enough that most restaurants won't serve two helpings to a party.

A few other suggestions:

- don't wear shorts.
- Never leave your chopsticks inside the rice bowl.
- Don't eat while walking or transporting.
- If you're going to try to bow, maintain eye contact.

You're going to have a great time,

Gary
Old 12-13-2005, 02:22 PM

Hi means yes

Arigato gozaimasu means thank you

Now you are ready for Japan!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:36 PM

$100 a day? i hope you like cup of noodle..

Most of japan speaks english..
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$100 a day? i hope you like cup of noodle..

Most of japan speaks english..

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the noodle. Outside of hotels, there's very little english in my experience.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Learn a couple of key phrases. Every time my large caucasian frame produced an 'arigato', the people I was communicating with were delighted and went out of their way to be helpful. If I'd ask for directions, they'd actually take me to my destination. In a Yokohama train station, I asked where to find a taxi using an awful english-Japanese dictionary and the little old man I asked took my two suitcases (One filled with books), carried them up four flights of stairs and put them in a cab for me. That's how much they appreciate the effort.

[/ QUOTE ]
my brother told me about this. I'll definately try to take advantage. I appreciate the tips.

The reason I only have $100/day is because I'm a college student and am therefore poor.

one thing I'm wondering about is the nightlife scene, and how possible/fun it would be to go to a club or a bar if I didn't have a personal tour guide to help me through the language barrier. for some reason the prospect of hooking up with a girl I can't even talk with is alluring.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:03 PM

$100/day ???

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 03:09 PM

$100 = 12,011 Yen right now. Not alot of money for a very expensive country.

And get used to signs like this:
Old 12-13-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$100/day ???

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
yes. I'm in college and this is my working budget. my uncle says he budgets this much when he travels, and he's not a poor man. thoughts?