Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-14-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: How to be productive with LIFE? (3hrs poker, other 13hrs wasted) :

[ QUOTE ]
i'm surviving off poker right now. (jan= 1yr mark)

i see this great opportunity in front of me with all this free time, yet i'm wasting it.

i play ~20hrs/week so that's about 3hrs/day. i'm wasting the other 13hrs with surfing the web, tv, or day dreaming. (i cant get myself to play more than ~3hrs/day.)

there are a few hrs here and there where i hang out with friends or do something productive. I've also traveled some... Vegas, San Fran, NY.

but a vast majority of the time i feel like i'm wasting it.

Why am i not seizing the moment? Why am i not taking advantage of this opportunity?

And how to break out of it?

THX!

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my experience the first 2 months of playing for a living...then i got a chic and started forcing myself to be more social...I also played at an office I rented and not at home...this playing and working and sleeping and eating and crapping all in the same place kinda wears on you after awhile.

i still felt a bit of a void though. So I packed it up and now I play from internet cafe's while I travel. That did the trick. I play about 3 hours a day also, and the other 13 are pretty damned action packed and rewarding for the most part, much much more fulfilling.

gl
Old 12-14-2005, 07:16 PM

i waste alot of time reading 2+2 and watching tv too, im a slacker
Old 12-17-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i see this great opportunity in front of me with all this free time, yet i'm wasting it.

i play ~20hrs/week so that's about 3hrs/day. i'm wasting the other 13hrs with surfing the web, tv, or day dreaming. (i cant get myself to play more than ~3hrs/day.)

there are a few hrs here and there where i hang out with friends or do something productive. I've also traveled some... Vegas, San Fran, NY.

Why am i not seizing the moment? Why am i not taking advantage of this opportunity?

THX!

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my experience the first 2 months of playing for a living...then i got a chic and started forcing myself to be more social...I also played at an office I rented and not at home...this playing and working and sleeping and eating and crapping all in the same place kinda wears on you after awhile.

i still felt a bit of a void though. So I packed it up and now I play from internet cafe's while I travel. That did the trick. I play about 3 hours a day also, and the other 13 are pretty damned action packed and rewarding for the most part, much much more fulfilling.

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

You are my hero. Is it safe to play from internet cafes? I mean... it would seriously suck if your account is hacked.

I have the same problem as the OP btw. I play poker 2-5 hours a day, and waste all the rest. A few days ago I watched a tv show and really relaxed for an hour and realized I hadn't relaxed in weeks. I never do anything I really enjoy and that does NOT bring stress.

I'm going to try a thing where I only turn my PC on to play poker or learn poker, and only read this forum X minutes a day. Then use the spare time to do things I like. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2005, 10:42 AM

I'm in the same boat as you AA suited. I've been playing full-time since the summer and I find myself not being able to put in the hours, and doing jack sh*t the rest of the time.
You just have to realize that you only live once, so make sure you're spending your time doing things that really matter. Pretend there's a bomb inside your head and that it could blow any second, that should get you off your ass.

Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. -Gandhi

Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that the stuff life is made of. -Benjamin Franklin

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. -Martin Luther King, Jr.

These then are my last words to you: Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact. -William James
Old 12-17-2005, 08:17 PM

I get one month in four off work, on my month off i play poker to pay the bills. When i'm working i savour every minute of free time- even just reading and watching TV or lazing about. I'm now on a poker playing month and am actually wanting the days to go by just because i said i'd meet someone for a pint on monday. This is why i don't give up work.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get one month in four off work, on my month off i play poker to pay the bills. When i'm working i savour every minute of free time- even just reading and watching TV or lazing about. I'm now on a poker playing month and am actually wanting the days to go by just because i said i'd meet someone for a pint on monday. This is why i don't give up work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiousty what do you do Devilworm?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

THX!

[/ QUOTE ]

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

You are my hero. Is it safe to play from internet cafes? I mean... it would seriously suck if your account is hacked.

I have the same problem as the OP btw. I play poker 2-5 hours a day, and waste all the rest. A few days ago I watched a tv show and really relaxed for an hour and realized I hadn't relaxed in weeks. I never do anything I really enjoy and that does NOT bring stress.

I'm going to try a thing where I only turn my PC on to play poker or learn poker, and only read this forum X minutes a day. Then use the spare time to do things I like. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm knocking on wood hard right now and i'll say that i have yet to have any issues...though it is obviously a possibility i suppose

i have my laptop with me and that is my way preferred method of play, but if a cafe can't accomodate that i just download and play.

for the most part, i don't think the local's know wtf i'm doing...and the other travelers are all people in the same boat...there is kindof an unspoken code not to phuck another traveler, but i spose it could happen

i keep only a portion of my roll in party anyway, they don't pay interest [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Start smoking weed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2005, 04:30 AM

I've also thought about traveling and playing poker from cafes. How much do you think I need to be pulling down to make this happen? BTW Ive never travelled out of the country but I want to.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: How to be productive with LIFE? (3hrs poker, other 13hrs wasted) :(

Start with exercise. It gets you up and out, and increases your energy levels.