Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-11-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Stud/8 3 flush

I play stud/8 from time to time but am very rough around the edges.. Did I play this hand too aggressively? Should i play this on 3rd at all?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.75 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (2.75 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (2.88 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (8.88 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

River - (14.88 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds

Total pot: (16.88 BB)
Old 12-11-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Stud/8 3 flush

I think you have good reason to fear a boat here, I probably wouldn't push as hard as you did.
What do you think seat 5 started with, the only thing I think your ahead of is AA or KK in the hole, but his most likely hand, i think, is QxQ and when he keeps betting when you raise every round I'm pretty sure thats what your up against.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:42 AM

Looks good to me... though i would consider raising fourth (how's that for aggressive?)
Old 12-11-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think seat 5 started with, the only thing I think your ahead of is AA or KK in the hole, but his most likely hand, i think, is QxQ and when he keeps betting when you raise every round I'm pretty sure thats what your up against.

[/ QUOTE ] i can't give the player credit for split queens, wouldn't he want to isolate by completing against a nine especially with two babies yet to speak? so many players limps with garbage like q and 2 babies in the hole. also he did slow done when raised, then bet out with two open pair, then just call the raise - if he had a boat, he's got to reraise
Old 12-11-2005, 10:29 PM

i love the way you played it and I too would just call on 4th, otherwise you almost announce your hand. As for whether to play it, your flush is completely live and you have an ace which makes a stronger flush and aces are live as well.

Don't play these three flushes when 2 or more of your suit is out. Also when wheel cards show a lot of strength, throw 'em away even if you limped and your hand is very live. They are marginal and it's hard to make a flush, and a lot harder to make a low with only two babies. Also don't bother with three flushes in 8b w/o two babies, unless your playing against big cards only or have a hand like kqj suited.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:42 PM

3rd:I would raise here.If you can lose seat 7 &/or seat 8,it would raise your EV.
5th:Good raise. this is the time to do it rather than 4th,imo.
Well played.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good to me... though i would consider raising fourth (how's that for aggressive?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think waiting till 5th street is the better choice here.

I play this hand the exact same way as OP. Hope it worked out for ya.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3rd:I would raise here.If you can lose seat 7 &/or seat 8,it would raise your EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also like to raise w/ this type of hand to represent a big pair. However, I'm hesistant to do it with overcards oraces behind me because I may be reraised, and now I'm commiting more chips than I'd like with a marginal hand. Any thoughts on this Ben?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:25 AM

getfunky:Sorry to take so long to get back to you.I agree.I don't like that Q back there either.However,if he does 3 bet,that will probably get rid of # 7&8,& I don't think the equity is too bad against split Q's with this hand.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play this hand the exact same way as OP. Hope it worked out for ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the actual hand I scooped the pot.