Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Raise for a free showdown? ($10/20 5 handed, A3s blind steal)

Not that my question applies to an unknown or this situation, but,

What about this (or any) board texture makes you want to 3bet the flop more? If we know opponents tendencies that's one thing, but with no read, I like a turn raise more than flop 3 bet.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:37 PM

why? villain isnt folding to a turn raise like rarely ever with a hand that beats you. i think saving yourself the .5SB is much better.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:23 PM

Okay, looking back at this, I still think I like the hand, but I like it more if Villian was BB... oh well.

[ QUOTE ]
The guy check raised you and then led the turn. What makes you think you have enough chance of being ahead that raising the turn for a free showdown is useful? I really don't see many folks c/r'ing the flop and leading the turn when on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

An average party 10/20er will do this with a flush draw as well as A6 like TStone says. Also, random bluffs on a low board will comprise part of his range.

If I am in fact behind, I'm putting the same amount of bets in to find out. I'm rarely getting 3-bet by a worse hand, so folding isn't a problem.

If I'm ahead of a draw, I get an extra bet in if he misses since he's not calling a river bet or even betting it himself all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
btw metetron, 3betting this flop and betting turn/checking and calling a river bet = cheaper showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

TStone,

I don't think I get nearly as much respect with a flop 3-bet on this board vs. a turn raise. I'm likely to get capped with a draw or some other weird BS pulled on me that may make me fold the best hand.

Also, I don't get the small, but not insignificant chance that he is one of those players who can fold to the turn raise... it is after all an awesome scare card.

I still can't think of a line I like better than this one. 3-betting the flop tends to get me check/raised on the turn or capped on the flop more than I'd like. It's aggression I have trouble facing from LAGgro opponents.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:28 PM

this is definitely the best card in the deck for you to make the free showdown play with so i dont mean to imply that it wont work. i just mean that i think making the free showdown play regardless of the turn card doesnt have much folding equity at all. that is why i prefer 3betting the flop to get to showdown cheaper. if you think they will cap on a draw though then i definitely agree with you that 3betting the flop is no good.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:36 PM

I wasn't planning a free showdown play on any turn. This one just happened to work out.

In general, I'm not a big fan of 3-betting this flop, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:46 PM

The only problem with the free showdown play is that people who bluff draws almost always bet the river (because he hopes you are also on a draw and will fold) which means you make the same if they only have a draw. The value would come in folding better hands here which rarely happens unless you have some sort of read this guy will fold middle pair. I don't think that overcomes the times you get 3-bet and don't get a chance to see the river where you could have drawn out with 5 live outs. I've begun to dislike the free showdown play more and more at shorthanded games.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I like, folding J7 and the like is very hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

no opponent is folding j7o here. well, maybe tolbiny....
Old 12-07-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy check raised you and then led the turn. What makes you think you have enough chance of being ahead that raising the turn for a free showdown is useful? I really don't see many folks c/r'ing the flop and leading the turn when on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

im curious if you play in the same 10/20 games as i do. donks and good players alike routinely do this.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no opponent is folding j7o here. well, maybe tolbiny....

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. The typical 10/20 player never, ever folds J7 here.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im curious if you play in the same 10/20 games as i do. donks and good players alike routinely do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess not. Sometimes, yes. Routinely, no. It's read dependent for me based on the villian's aggression. The SB cold calls and check-raises this low flop, I'm more inclined to think small over pair like 88/99.