Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Am I the only one not multitabling?

If your only going to play one table I recommend quiting and just playing live the games are 10 times easier
Old 12-07-2005, 03:33 PM

I definitely think that a video-game background helps.

For those who are 35 or 40-ish and younger one's childhood might have been partly spent accidentally 'in training' for poker-multi-tabling.

Younger generation on the X-Box or Sega and what-not.
I'm 35 so I played lots of Atari (and the old Activision games....I need to get one of those 'retro' video-game things that they're selling now) and was also popping quarters into machines at the arcade (Ms Pac-Man, Centipede, Frogger, Pole Position, Time-Pilot, Galaga, etc etc).

For those 40 and over who might not have been into video-games I think it looks like it is all moving too quickly (for some).

I know an older guy who says he would try playing online, but he watched somebody playing on just 1 table one time it looked 'really really fast'. He couldn't keep up with it (it looks faster than it really is I think because of 4 or 5 players in a row all clicking on auto-fold or check-call or whatever).
But this is a guy who doesn't really understand much poker to begin with.

Some people who learn that I play 3 or 4 tables at a time think I must be some sort of genius to be able to do that....as if I told them that I can play 20 simultaneous chess-matches blind-folded while memorizing the phone-book and solving a rubik's cube with my feet.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Wait? You can memorize the phone book blindfolded?

Teach me.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that I might try to play too good on both tables you mean?

[/ QUOTE ] I wouldnt think of it that way. A lot of people are able to play just as good playing 4 tables as one, its just that you will not be able to study the table and get as good of a feel for everyone there, thus pokerace hud helps a lot.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you grow up playing video games? I think that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I grew up a crazy mad gamer.

Anyone with a few thousand games of StarCraft (real SC, not that BGH sh!t) under their belt has no problem 6-8 tabling.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 PM

single tabling is good whilst you develop your game (I.e. if you've just move to 6max or moved up to higher stakes).

Soon as you feel comfy multitable.

Reads are another factor - Most guys who multitable has crap reads unless experienced.

Once your comfy note taking, own a PT/PA type program and are comfy preflop and postflop multitable.

If your never comfy, then dont.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:42 PM

also for growing into multi-tabling...
try playing 1 table of your regular stakes and you focus on that table.

then add a 2nd table of .5/1 or smaller where you just make automated, straight-forward plays. Obviously this will mostly involve folding pre-flop...and you can go back to your original instincts of concentrating on reads and the play of the hand at your primary table.

This may help ease the transition of multi-tabling for some.

I'll do something like this occasionally if I feel like I need to give more concetration to reads.
Instead od 5-6 tables of 5/10 I might just play 2 tables of 5/10 and 2 tables of 3/6.

I'm barely paying any attention at all to the 3/6 (because straight-forward play will still get you the money there) while I'm devoting as much attention as possible to my 2 higher-limit tables.

I also believe that this is a helpful way for players like me...I don't necessarily have a problem multi-tabling...but I do have a tough-time getting all the reads and following as much of the action as I think I should.
This gets one in the habit of really focusing on a table (or two) while also maintaining the same multi-tabling 'skills' (as it were).
Old 12-07-2005, 04:47 PM

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate multitablers.

I like to play a fast game, but I only want to concentrate on my one table.

I hate waiting on the multitabling jerks who take 40 seconds to fold, then the next multitabling jerk does the same thing because he is to anal to look ahead and fold his 52o.

I am wondering how long it is going to take the major sites to figure out two things.

ONE: Multitabling TAGs (or just plain rocks) deplete the recreational player (AKA fish) pool way too fast. they lose revenue that would be otherwise churned and, therefore, raked multiple times vs once after which the recreational player departs forever and the multitabling jerk pockets the money.

TWO: While we are all waiting on the multitabling jerk to get around to folding, the table is generating zero income. Now it is true that one or two of the players are perhaps generating some rake somewhere else (although it is most likely they are simply folding their way through the tables), the rest of the table is sitting on their thumbs doing NOTHING. An idle table is a table not making any money.

I have enjoyed some instances where there were no laggards, and I am convinced we got in twice to three time as many hands.

Come on poker rooms, get the games speeded up!!!

BTW, did I mention I hated multitablers....
Old 12-07-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Reads are another factor - Most guys who multitable has crap reads unless experienced.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought this was a wierd thing to think. When i first started playing i would time my actions thinking my opponents would get certain ideas from them. But people multitable, watch tv, surf, jack off, read, eat, and bla bla bla, while they are playing online. The timing of actions(the only real read you can get) are of little use to online play.

Getting a feel for you opponents, and knowing their tendencies is valuable, and is not the same as reading an opponent. This is something you might do better playing less tables, but it is quickly remedied with a hud.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hate waiting on the multitabling jerks who take 40 seconds to fold, then the next multitabling jerk does the same thing because he is to anal to look ahead and fold his 52o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am one of those jerks. If i'm early I will check the auto-buttons, if not I wait to see what everyones done before folding my 52 off. I don't think you can asses how increasing or decreasing multitable limits will affect the revenue of a poker site by "eyeballing" it like you are.