Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Size Does Matter

Afternoon 50 rebuy on Stars. Loose fishy player limps UTG+2 with blinds at 100/200. I make it 800 with AcJc, SB calls and limper calls. Going to the flop SB has 14737, limper has 10288 and I have 13630. Flop is 5dJh4d. SB leads for 1400 into the 2600 pot. Limper folds...now what? SB seems like a solid competent player, but I don't really know anything about him and havent seen him show down a hand.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Size Does Matter

SB has a pocket pair, 88 or 99 and throws out this testing bet to see if you just raised with 2 high cards. If you raise here, I think he folds. But if he calls, it means he doesn't believe you and I would continue to bet the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:13 PM

A lot of times you take very specific reads. I agree that 88/99 type hands are a possibility, but its only 1 of a number of possibilities.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:15 PM

If I have KJ or JQ I would lead out as well from the SB. Not sure if he would have gotten to the flop though. He could also have a number of draws. I raise the flop.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of times you take very specific reads. I agree that 88/99 type hands are a possibility, but its only 1 of a number of possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get too confused if I put my opps on too big a range of hands. Not being funny here. So I usually make my best guess and go with it. Big flaw? Probably.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:19 PM

seems like an odd way to play a draw w/ the aggressive preflop raiser behind you.
This isn't quite WAWB since there are two overcards that would slow things down, but he could have something like QdJd or KdJd or any pair from 44-TT or even a slowplayed overpair. You are drawing nearly dead against the sets and thin against the overpairs. I think that this is a great way to play a made hand if I was him, but it's still pretty likely that he can have a middle pair.

I think you need to find out if your hand is any good right now. Make a raise to 4k and fold if he jams. If he calls check behind the turn and call a reasonable river bet.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:20 PM

So the SB still has 12,537 behind after the flop bet, you have 12,830.

Seems like pretty deep stacks here still, so we definitely have some room to manuever.

We are raising here, but the question is how much. SB could be leading with 6-6 or 10-10, thinking it's still good possibly. He could be leading with a weaker Jack or a flush draw, or he could be taking more of a unique line and leading out with his set. But I think you are ahead here, and raising makes sense to tell us where we are at.

I raise to 3600. I believe this allows you some room to evaluate if he comes over the top, but it still tells the SB that you have a hand.

Brad
Old 12-02-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to find out if your hand is any good right now. Make a raise to 4k and fold if he jams. If he calls check behind the turn and call a reasonable river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will bet/3bet with good draws here a lot.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Afternoon 50 rebuy on Stars. Loose fishy player limps UTG+2 with blinds at 100/200. I make it 800 with AcJc, SB calls and limper calls. Going to the flop SB has 14737, limper has 10288 and I have 13630. Flop is 5dJh4d. SB leads for 1400 into the 2600 pot. Limper folds...now what? SB seems like a solid competent player, but I don't really know anything about him and havent seen him show down a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this not an easy raise? I would figure SBs range something like Axd or maybe even KQd. He could also have Jx, but I doubt J5 or J4. He also could have flopped a set and felt with 2 diamonds on the board he had to bet it, but I still think if it's a set he would CR a lot here.

If the limper calls I think this hand gets a lot more interesting, but as is I would pop it to ~4000 (maybe a little less, but not much) and see how he reacts. I'm then pushing any non-diamond on the turn if it's checked to me, and I would have to re-evaluate if he came back and pushed on the flop. I think you're fav over his range here, and I think giving him a cheap look at the turn would be a mistake. I don't think I can put any considering into folding this flop without some sort of read.

-Rizen
Old 12-02-2005, 04:26 PM

For what it's worth I call a push if he comes over the top of you on the flop. Too many times he'll think he's defending the best hand when he has K-J. I'd expect him to have that or the flush draw over more times than a set.

I don't mind getting my money in the middle on that flop in this situation. Especially with the fact that the SB led on the flop. I still don't find too many players leading with their sets online.

Brad