Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Overpair in position (I don\'t play full ring)

I have probably played ~5k hands of full ring games (any more than 6 handed) in the last year. I basically only do it when short games fill up and they're still very good, and even then I don't like it.

Cognitively I am confident my line is right, but instincually it feels like I need to be putting in more bets somewhere. I think that's wrong, though.

Villain is 68.3/12.2

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.66 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.83 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.83 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.83 BB

So yea, do your thing. Go for all streets I suppose, though hopefully we can agree I played preflop like a champ.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Overpair in position (I don\'t play full ring)

fine
Old 12-02-2005, 07:38 AM

maybe raise the river? I agree with you that some more bets should probably go in against this monkey, but anything more than 1 or 2 more probably means you are behind. Yeah I think raising the river is probably best, calling a 3-bet of course.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:42 AM

My default line is to raise the flop and call down if 3-bet. I doubt he's bet/folding the flop, and if he check/folds the turn, I'm fine with that.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:49 AM

I think this is fine. What's his post-flop AF? If it's high I'd raise the river or the turn, if it's low I'd just call down
Old 12-02-2005, 10:50 AM

Heh, this reminds me of a hand I played in a live game. Preflop was the same, with the villain probably having similar stats (probably a lower PFR though).

I called his flop bet on a board of 854, called his turn bet when a 6 hit, and then checked behind his cursing check when the river came a 7. He had AA.

Depending on reads, I think your line can be a good one. Some people don't cap without a big pair. That said, that phenomenon isn't uncommon live, but it's not something you're likely to see in an online 15/30 game. So I think your default play should include an extra raise somewhere.

Where? I think I prefer raising the turn or the river. This gets an extra small bet in when ahead, and is less likely to be raised by AA or KK. Additionally, you no longer need to raise if an A hits.

A final thought: if villain will bet all three streets with AK, but isn't going to call the final river bet when we raise at some point, the call down line seems best.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:52 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

his postflop AF would be somewhat helpful. i don't think this is bad at all. you may have missed a bet, but you sure did not put yourself in a position where you would want to/have to fold to a 3bet, which i could not do here.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:59 AM

I would raise the river. Some villains might be less inclined to 3-bet with KK or AA when they see a possible str8 on the table.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:10 AM

I think you missed a raise on a street. Your choice which one.

- Jim
Old 12-02-2005, 11:46 AM

Your stats are missing postflop aggression. That's pretty important. From what I can remember 68/12 is pretty aggressive, so I'd usually find a flop raise.

Rob