Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Devastating 30 BB hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At first glance over the action, I was surprised to see you fold the river. Are you really losing 96.5% of the time here?

[/ QUOTE ]

With 2 other players calling the river, yes he is losing 100% of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the fact that he would have won mean that this rule now violates some fundamental law of math?

Just busting your chops. I would have been out on the turn.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 PM

This is obviously a dream table. The only problem is that you didn't hit anything remotely close to a hand. Preflop riase is standard of course. After that... damn yr relative position is SO crappy that I have don't think laying down the flop is a huge error. I hate being the meat in a raise sandwich anytime (unless I have the nuts of course). Discount yr overcants to 3 or so outs and you are still barely getting the odds to call. Tack on the possibility of a raise behind you and I think you can fold. I think too many fishes will call behind you to make the raise on the flop right, and yr hand is too weak to wait till the turn to raise. I just lay down the flop I guess.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 AM

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...

Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At first glance over the action, I was surprised to see you fold the river. Are you really losing 96.5% of the time here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, in this spot, I think it's more like 99.5%. Can't be results oriented and be swayed by the fact that OP's hand would have been good here.

Horrible bet by the BB thinking he could bluff out multiple opponents with the busted draw, and horrible call by the AJo that actually won the hand. Hero is actually the only one that played the river properly.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I say anything, I just have to say people who play AQ/AK like you did this hand are the fish that 2+2 players thrive on. I'm not trying to condescend you, I'm just trying to give you the harsh truth. With that being said, fold the flop. Fold the turn. Good fold on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
I am getting 14-1 or better every time it comes to me... among those 6 aces and queens, you don't think I have a 50% chance to win if I hit one?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are getting 14-1, this is true. There are three aces and three queens in the deck. Two of them are spades, so they might give another player a flush. Also, an A or Q could give two pair to someone who has A8 or QT. Furthermore, just because you raised preflop UTG does not mean someone cannot have flopped a set, which has you drawing dead.

Raising and being this aggressive with AQ/AK in a 7 player pot is asking for disaster. You were definetely spewing. Fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
dude you are a nub. Lay off the smart ass comments
Old 12-02-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alright... I can see that. when i folded I was so sure I totally goofed the turn by raising... then the river action came

CO calls, shows AJo, BB shows 92s and AJo takes $120

my hand was good the whole time! I know you shouldn't think about results, but this seems like the one situation where it should give you pause... folding a winning hand for one bet on the river in a huge pot is the most costly mistake in poker.

Still, with a little perspective I agree that the turn raise was incorrect...

[/ QUOTE ]

When my gf started playing limit poker, the two biggest pieces of advice I gave her were:

A) Try not to call the turn unless you can call the river. Whatever you do, don't fold on the river. Especially heads-up.

B) Play tight/aggressive pre-flop.

The problem with your hand was that with three opponents, your hand is practically never good.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just sit down to get in some 3 tabling at 2/4... within 5 minutes I'm suddenly in three massive pots with mediocre holdings. The result on this is unbelievable... I don't claim to have played it remotely decently but here it is...

I had just sat down and have no reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero raises, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, 1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 players)
SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB 3-bets, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (14.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, CO 3-bets, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

I still feel like I can win because there's absolutely nothing scary about the board, only a set really has me drawing dead. The pot is just too big to give up and watch an out fall.

River: (26.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB bets</font>, Hero folds...

two questions: a) considering how I played the rest of this hand, is this fold bad? b) was I spewing earlier in the hand ?

Final Pot: 29.50 BB

between the three tables I lost 150 in 10 minutes... certainly a wake up call from the run of good luck I've been having

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the worst hand of poker I've ever seen.

Good raise preflop.

On the flop, I'm either calling, or folding. Seeing as you are getting 15-1 with dirty overs, I'm probably calling.

Turn:

you were bet and 3-bet on the flop, and lead into on the turn. You are probably drawing dead. Fold the turn.

It's only a 30BB pot because you kept raising with 0-2 outs.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
folding a winning hand for one bet on the river in a huge pot is the most costly mistake in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree.

Folding the winner here did not really cost you 30BB - more like 0.5BB.

The EV of calling, if you knew you had a 5% chance to win the hand (unlikely in this case) is (0.95 * -1.0) + (0.05 * 30) = 0.55BB.

In this hand, I think that you were likely to win this &lt;2% of the time.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:36 AM

looks to me like the bb hit his set on the flop. why else would he bet out? you were dumping chips at that point imo.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding the winner here did not really cost you 30BB - more like 0.5BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it more like calling with a loser costs you 1BB while folding a winner costs you 30BB?