Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 09:11 PM

Default more meh hands

man i hate poker.

ep raises. i reraise AK. he calls.

flop: J T 9. checked to me. i wonder why am i going to bet but my thought process ends there and i bet. i get c/r'ed and for some reason take pleasure in 'i was right'. i call.

turn: Q.

he checks. i bet.

river:

9. he checks. i bet. he c/rs. i wonder why am i going to call but my thought process ends there and i call. i get shown qq and take pride in myself for always being right.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: more meh hands

3bet the flop? You have 4-10 outs, a raise here allows you to see 4th and 5th on the cheap while getting the money in while less of a dog.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:17 PM

no.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 PM

you had 5 in this situation. 6 vs QJ, 10 vs 88, 10 vs 98. 4 vs JT. etc etc. You have at least 4 outs. You may even be ahead. How is 4-10 not fair?

edit: heh. Nice edit. He originally claimed that 4-10 outs "wasn't fair" and that 3betting won't secure him a free turn card very often.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:25 PM

my 2nd edit was better, do the full math vs full hand range on average outs and average bets i go against.

jj tt 99 i go 3 bets on the flop against with 4 outs. qk i go 3 bets on the flop against with 0 outs. aj i'm more likely to go 3 than 2 with 7 outs. etc etc
Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 PM

1st, you still have 3 outs vs KQ. Second, I don't get what you are saying, are you thinking check behind is your best option here? perhaps it is, but once you have bet and been raised, it is either call or 3bet. Is your arguement that you are more likely to see a cap/lead the turn than a call/check the turn?

What is your point here? You played the hand perfectly but are running bad? Should I notify the Bad Beat Police?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:19 PM

no. the point here is i played my hand, what i thought was as bad as possible, ... untill someone suggested flop 3 bet. and got the results i was expecting, lost. i should have checked behind the flop. i should have checked behind the river. i should have folded to the river raise.

i think i am likely to see a cap/lead rather than call/check the turn yes. all the while i could have v. little outs.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:35 PM

"i should have checked behind the river. i should have folded to the river raise."

What are you talking about? What limit are you playing? How many chairs are filled? Is there something about the villain that we should know? Yeah, the board pairing isn't good for your hand, but you should have checked behind? Huh?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:41 PM

Flop is tough and it depends on how tight your villain's EP raising standards are. You're still ahead of AQ and chopping with AK, and this constitutes a large amount of his range here.

I think bet/calling here is okay.

Turn is standard.

River is meh, but I think checking behind is worse. You're getting called by any K here and probably by AQ as well. Folding to the CR might be best, but even if so, it's not that big of a mistake to make the crying call. (This situation comes up infrequently and you'll still win from time to time when villain has played the hand erratically.)
Old 11-29-2005, 10:42 PM

K,xs never double checks