Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: QJo EMP in a Tightish Game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3.I like the turn raise if you can fold to a 3-bet. Getting him to fold AK is very nice for you here. However, with the gutshot + 2 pair/trips draw, you can't fold to the 3-bet because now you've bloated the pot. Call turn and call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in a smaller pot or with less outs (maybe sans gutshot) I can raise/fold to a 3-bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]

in a smaller pot, against a weaker villain, without the gutshot I like a raise/fold. As it stands, he'll be laying you 10:1 on a 3-bet here, so you'd be correct to call with just the Q and J outs.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
awesome. this is good because when I call the flop with overs and I get there on the turn I automatically raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

another problem is that in this case, while you sortof got there you didn't actually get there for sure since you are still behind the majority of villians holdings.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend raising the flop here. You are up against an opponent who 3-bet you preflop and you are only on a couple of weak draws. Now he has bet into you again (still indicating a strong hand). Worse, his AF is 3.00, which means he's not the type of guy to give you a free card. I think you can count on a player like this betting into you on every street.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:58 PM

I can sure see why a couple people want to raise the flop and turn (Hell, I did) but I'm likin' the call turn, call river UI and obviously raise if I make two pair or better.

One other question, when he raised the turn I considered discounting an out or two in case he had one of the two FDs. Waste of time and good equity versus a LAG?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:00 PM

grunch:

To me, the turn 3-bet says you are behind.

But more importantly: don't limp, don't raise, fold PF.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:11 PM

He might have a FD some of the time, but regardless, you're going to have odds to draw in this siuation.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:28 PM

Fold PF - too early to open limp or raise this especially if you're not all that comfortable with your postflop game. I'd raise it from MP3.
Flop is good. I'd just call down from the turn. There's no way you can fold to a 3-bet given your outs coupled with the fact that villian is a nut.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM

The turn is the most interesting part of the hand. I think you have to ask yourself, 'why am I raising here?' If you raise you're doing it to knock him out or for value when he's behind. But if he reraises you that's a clear message that you're toast and you can safely fold. Raising costs you two bets when you're behind if you fold. When you're ahead and he calls you down you win one bet more than if you'd just clicked the call button. But if you make this play and call down when he reraises you, then you've paid off 4BB on a losing hand instead of two.
I think you only want to make this raise if in the situations that you're behind you have no outs. You have outs here, namely the 9 for the one card gutshot. I don't think you can call a Q an out since it will make AK very happy indeed.

And to all those people who blithly posted "fold preflop", did you read the original post? The OP clearly discribed why the table conditions were ripe for this sort of play. This is called switching gears and it's what the really good players do. Merely saying fold it because that's what a chart says without taking into consideration other factors isn't going to take you very far.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:02 PM

I've never used a chart before in my life. Raising a marginal offsuit holding in EP at a tight table is no good; and certainly not conducive to the "table conditions".
Old 11-29-2005, 05:03 PM

nice post.