Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Is ND really deserving for BCS

I HATE ND but yes they do deserve it...they were a reggie bush push away from beating USC
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 AM

ND vs. Oregon
USC = USC
Stanford = Stanford
Washington = Washington
Fresno State = Michigan
Arizona State = Michigan State
California = Purdue
Washington State = BYU
Oregon State = Tennessee
Arizona = Pittsburgh
Houston = Navy
Montana = Syracuse

Some of those are off, but all in all, I think it averages out. Notre Dame hasn't played any easier a schedule than Oregon. (tOSU has played one of the hardest schedules in the country, they should get in).
Old 11-29-2005, 04:13 AM

Yes.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 AM

I'm going to put in the teams final record, and then the record and ranking of the team before ND played them.

Look at your schedule:

Pittsburgh (5-6) (0-0, #23)
Michigan (7-4) (1-0, #3) BCS: #19
Michigan State (5-6) (2-0, NR)
Washington (2-9) (1-2, NR)
Purdue (5-6) (2-1, #22)
USC (11-0) (5-0, #1) BCS: #1
BYU (6-5) (3-3, NR)
Tennessee (5-6) (3-4, NR)
Navy (6-4) (5-3, NR)
Syracuse (1-10) (1-8, NR)
Stanford (5-6) (5-5, NR)

As you can see, ND made their rise up the polls early by beating highly ranked (at the time) teams, and then held their ranking by barely losing to what looked like a struggling USC team at the time, and beating up on teams like the Cuse. Only 2 teams ND played are currently in the BCS, Michigan and USC.

Is ND at top 15 team? Without a doubt. Should they be in a BCS bowl? I'd say probably not, I think there are definately better teams out there. I'll still be looking forward to an OSU/ND game like the ones we had in the 90s. We stomped your ass then and will likely do it again.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average Total Defense rank of Notre Dame's 11 opponents....67th.

Wow, 67th. That includes Purdue and Stanford who come in respectively at 100th and 106th. That great offense must be Weis. Not the fact that you had a veteran QB with a heck of an O-Line and a heck of a TE.

Look at your schedule:
Pittsburgh
Michigan
Michigan State
Washington
Purdue
USC
BYU
Tennessee
Navy
Syracuse
Stanford

Honestly just think about it? Pitt, Tennessee(at their given state which they didn't care anymore), Washington, BYU, Navy, Syracuse, Stanford???? That's 7 gimme wins. Never really noticed that.

Auburn's is 30th, and they beat three teams that are currently ranked inside the top 20. Thier two losses came to LSU who they should have beat but their kicker went 1/6 and they only lost 17-20, and a loss to GT in the opening game with a undeveloped offense, Iron's got one carry that game and their QB had his first start of his career. Auburns offense is just as leathel as ND plus they have a D to back it up. In my personal opinion I think the match up should be OSU vs. Auburn. These two teams are playing better than ND or Oregon right now and if either OSU or Auburn had to play ND it would result in a loss for ND.
Oh yeah Oregon's average total d rank is 79th, yes I know it's the pac ten style of play but its still weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

The BCS is set up for 2 reasons:

1 - Try to get a national championship game. Assuming USC and Texas both win next weekend, the BCS will successfully accomplish this goal.

2 - Make money for the Bowls. The BCS is not designed to pit the 8 best teams in the country against one another. Its secondary goal is to allow the Bowls to both keep their traditions and to create a good matchup that will make money for the Bowl. This is acccomplished by keeping the teams in their traditional Bowl games whenever possible, and by allowing the Bowls to choose 2 at-large teams who meet certain criteria. ND meets the criteria and will attract a large in-stadium and TV audience, making the Bowl successful. Therefore ND deserves a BCS bid. Simple, end of thread.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM

good post.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:31 PM

Yes. They played one of the greatest college games in recent memory, and, hung with the best team in college football, if Reggie Bush doesn't help Leinart across the goaline, they beat the best team in college football. They are more then deserving, and they will be in the title game next year.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. They played one of the greatest college games in recent memory, and, hung with the best team in college football, if Reggie Bush doesn't help Leinart across the goaline, they beat the best team in college football. They are more then deserving, and they will be in the title game next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to bet? I'll lay you 2-1.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM

He also has my Wolverines in the top 10, which, even given our hard schedule, is not even near the ballpark of where we belong. So I wouldn't take his rankings all that seriously.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:19 PM

Michigan lost to a top 5 team in a close game without your best player.
Michigan beat a top 3 team in a close game.
Michigan lost to ND in a close game without your best player.
Michigan lost to an OK Minnesota team.
Michigan lost to an OK Wisconsin team in a close game without your best player.

Sure you had a lot of bad breaks, but why is it so hard to believe this is the 9th best team (in terms of who WOULD win long term), when you were 3rd preseason? His rankings don't account for how WELL you have done, but how well you would do in the future.

I'd be hard pressed to find more than 12 teams I'd figure were 1 point favorites or more against Michigan on a neutral site.