Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Is ND really deserving for BCS

The average Total Defense rank of Notre Dame's 11 opponents....67th.

Wow, 67th. That includes Purdue and Stanford who come in respectively at 100th and 106th. That great offense must be Weis. Not the fact that you had a veteran QB with a heck of an O-Line and a heck of a TE.

Look at your schedule:
Pittsburgh
Michigan
Michigan State
Washington
Purdue
USC
BYU
Tennessee
Navy
Syracuse
Stanford

Honestly just think about it? Pitt, Tennessee(at their given state which they didn't care anymore), Washington, BYU, Navy, Syracuse, Stanford???? That's 7 gimme wins. Never really noticed that.

Auburn's is 30th, and they beat three teams that are currently ranked inside the top 20. Thier two losses came to LSU who they should have beat but their kicker went 1/6 and they only lost 17-20, and a loss to GT in the opening game with a undeveloped offense, Iron's got one carry that game and their QB had his first start of his career. Auburns offense is just as leathel as ND plus they have a D to back it up. In my personal opinion I think the match up should be OSU vs. Auburn. These two teams are playing better than ND or Oregon right now and if either OSU or Auburn had to play ND it would result in a loss for ND.
Oh yeah Oregon's average total d rank is 79th, yes I know it's the pac ten style of play but its still weak.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Is ND really deserving for BCS

There are other threads about this. No they don't deserve the invite but they are ND so they will get the invite.

p.s. ND is awesome.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Auburns offense is just as leathel as ND plus they have a D to back it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

spelling is fun
so is thinking
Old 11-29-2005, 12:29 AM

Sagarin has their schedule as 20th best in the nation. What's the average offense of all those teams?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:57 AM

no.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at your schedule:
Pittsburgh
Michigan
Michigan State
Washington
Purdue
USC
BYU
Tennessee
Navy
Syracuse
Stanford

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall, that is easily harder than Auburns schedule. For all you SEC lovers, ND scored more points against Tenn than any other team, so perhaps they do have some offense.

but seriously, why will people not just wait until the bowl games get played to bitch about ND? if ND gets blown out, I'll be the first to admit they shouldnt have been there, but what are you guys going to do if ND actually wins, besides make excuses that the refs or the media fixed it for them? you act as if they are some ivy league team that is automatically going to get blown out by 50 points.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

but seriously, why will people not just wait until the bowl games get played to bitch about ND?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a matter of money. If ND gets a bid they get ~$14.5M whereas if OSU gets a bid they get some (half I think) and the rest is divided between the conference and the other teams in the conference. Therefore, for folks with vested interested in any team in the conference of Oregon, Ohio State or any other team that is "left out" it is a significant issue.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but seriously, why will people not just wait until the bowl games get played to bitch about ND?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a matter of money. If ND gets a bid they get ~$14.5M whereas if OSU gets a bid they get some (half I think) and the rest is divided between the conference and the other teams in the conference. Therefore, for folks with vested interested in any team in the conference of Oregon, Ohio State or any other team that is "left out" it is a significant issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the recent past, the guarenteed payoffs of having one bcs team every year have pretty much equalled out to ND's huge payouts every once in a while
Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in 2006, tOSU will have a budget of approximately $3.5 Billion dollars. is ~$7.25 million really worth bitching this much over?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in 2006, tOSU will have a budget of approximately $3.5 Billion dollars. is ~$7.25 million really worth bitching this much over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about tOSU, but Michigan's athletic budget is fully self supported from donations, bowl income and ticket sales, and takes nothing from the general fund of the school. In that case, $7.25M would be a huge boon to a program (50% of the total payout sounds high, but I'll assume its right for this argument).

That being said, ND is a shoo-in to get a BCS bid. They are a huge national draw and havent been to a BCS game in several years and will travel well. I would guess that tOSU gets the other one since I doubt Oregon has that much national appeal (plus I'm 99% sure that tOSU is a better team than Oregon).