Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Trying to Build my Bankroll...Critique My Plan...

Ok, here's my situation. I have been playing SNG's for the past couple months and have been somewhat successful. I had my bankroll up to 1700 bucks (playing the 11's and 22's)before I got stupid and played in a few 215 sit n go's (trying to build it quick) and lost all of my money except for 200 bucks. I was planning on getting my bankroll back up by playing at the tens, but I was on such tilt that I lost the 200 bucks at that level! (coupled with some bad variance). This however may be a blessing in disguise in that it was only 1700, and if it had not happened then, I might have gotten up a lot more and made that same mistake. It hopefully will force me to value my roll and play a lot smarter in the future.

Anyway, I am planning on re-depositing 200 bucks on party on January 1st and slowly working my way up to 1000 by playing then 11 dollar buyins (20-25 tourneys per day on average). At that point I will move over to the 22's and try to get up to 4,000 (same amount of tourney's per day as the 11's). At 4,000 my plan is to 2-3 table the 1-2 NL game short handed game...which I have been working on religiously through poker academy software and reading Ciaffone's No-Limit book and TOP. Hopefully I will eventually get to 10,000 and then can (with much humility and practice), be able to move to the 3-6 NL game.

My New's Years Resolution (if you want to call it that, although it's more like a goal) is to reach 20k by year's end and be able to (again, after careful consideration and practice, mostly likely 1 tabling at first) play the 5-10 NL 6-max ring game comfortably.

I guess I am posting this to see what everyone thinks of this goal, if they believe it to be attainable, and to see if anyone has any suggestions regarding a faster way or a different way they did it. Winning a big MTT would be easier, but I don't like taking that longshot chance, and I'd be afraid I wouldn't value the money enough. I know, the old saying, "there is no easy road to success", and I don't expect it to be easy nor do I want it to be. I believe the hardest part will be starting off right, and hopefully I can get a few things going on the right track at the start at the 11's and just take it one day at a time. Thanks for reading and any feedback (positive or negative) would be helpful, just so long as it's constructive. Happy Holidays...

Ivey
Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Trying to Build my Bankroll...Critique My Plan...

If you are going to take a aggressive approach to build ur bank roll. I think you should concentrate on your cash games. More money is put at risk but a steadier reward, assuming your game is up to task.

Winning poker isnt just winning at the tables but holding onto your winnings. Getting to 1700 and not losing it all but 200 bucks is very important..

I think your 4k palying 2-3 1/2 NL is kinda suicidal.. but.. risk tolerance is different for everyone.

Honestly, I would suggest you take a slower approach and work more on your game.. Your nominal success allow you to move limits are capable of..

I have a very modest bank roll system where i save 35% of it at ends month for university AND i play with 40x the buyin @ 2 tables.. NL(100) avg around 2k a month with a few spikes over 3.5.

20k is a reasonable goal over 12 months 4 sure.

anyting is possible.. ive seen someone move from 50/1 to 25/50$NL in less than a year and half..
Old 11-28-2005, 09:15 PM

Jumping from the 22's to 1/2 NL isn't going to be rough for you. You'll have to deal with aggression that you haven't seen before. If you really want to play 1/2 NL, just start at .05/.1 or .1/.25 NL and build your roll that way. It'll likely be faster and more beneficial in helping you reach your goal.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:19 PM

i agree with mud here..

playing SNG's solely is EXTREMELY difficult. your payoff and risk ratio per tournament is extremely small in those tournaments unless you're playing in the multi-table version.

if you want to play to provide an income in this game, i feel cash game is the way to go.. and if you want to play NL cash games you need to have QUITE a significant bankroll with the LAG players you'll come across.

also.. dont get in over your head.. no matter what you decide to play in, play at the level that your skill is the clear favorite against the opposition.

you want a pretty decently sized bankroll either way whichever you decide to do, especially online.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At 4,000 my plan is to 2-3 table the 1-2 NL game short handed game...which I have been working on religiously through poker academy software and reading Ciaffone's No-Limit book and TOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you haven't really played 1-2NL yet? Books and software so far? If that's the case, I'd consider starting at least one level lower to get your feet wet. 100NL or 50NL. One of the two, but I wouldn't start at 200NL.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:21 PM

going from small SNG's to 1/2 NL is a BAD idea. It plays very differently. As others have already said, you should transition with smaller games first.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:00 PM

SnG's make me want to blow my brains out
Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I am planning on re-depositing 200 bucks on party on January 1st and slowly working my way up to 1000 by playing then 11 dollar buyins (20-25 tourneys per day on average). At that point I will move over to the 22's and try to get up to 4,000 (same amount of tourney's per day as the 11's). At 4,000 my plan is to 2-3 table the 1-2 NL game short handed game...which I have been working on religiously through poker academy software and reading Ciaffone's No-Limit book and TOP. Hopefully I will eventually get to 10,000 and then can (with much humility and practice), be able to move to the 3-6 NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good plan.. if you want to repeat what happened with you the first time. SNG's and NL 6 max are very different games. I have played quite a bit of 30$ SNG's with decent results, and recently started playing the 100$ NL 6 max tables. So far my results for 6 max NL have been positive, but not very good. Take the advice from other posters and start lower where it is cheaper to learn.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:31 PM

If you manage your new years resolution u will have impressed me quite a bit. Also, sit and Go tourneys are probably slowest way to make money at poker IMO.

I have won considerably faster playing MTTs and ring games than $11-$33 SnGs. Could just be my style though.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a bad way to go about it. Saying I want to have $x by Jan and then $x + $y by April, etc. is setting yourself up for disaster. What happens if you miss? What happens if you go on a rush? Then you try and 'take a shot' and move up quicker? I would be more concerned with how you are playing rather than how much money you have. That stuff will take care of itself if you are playing well. Seems like you have the wrong mindset.