Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-28-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Stepping down and admitting defeat

Thanks for the comments guys. It's reassuring that someone like Mbob is going through the same thing as me.

[ QUOTE ]
yah i agree... from your post it seems like you still have a 20k roll. youre a good player and shouldnt have trouble beating 10/20. i dont know why you are going to 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the confidence. I don't have doubt that I could beat 10/20 either. I just need a break from the varience. I'll probably spend a month at 5/10 and when I get some confidence back, I'll go back to 10/20.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So lookout you 3/6 grinding tags, I'm gonna pwn your weak tight asses, and if you try to steal my BB, I'm gonna cut you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't be a steal, and you'll find you're holding on to the bladed end of the knife if you try and cut me...and I'll be holding two box-cutters, 'cause I'm just that street...

Seriously, good luck though.

--Zetack
Old 11-28-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments guys. It's reassuring that someone like Mbob is going through the same thing as me.

[ QUOTE ]
yah i agree... from your post it seems like you still have a 20k roll. youre a good player and shouldnt have trouble beating 10/20. i dont know why you are going to 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the confidence. I don't have doubt that I could beat 10/20 either. I just need a break from the varience. I'll probably spend a month at 5/10 and when I get some confidence back, I'll go back to 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've went through exactly what you are talking about a couple of weeks ago. took a shot, got crushed, returned to old limit, got really crushed, and moved a level lower than one I "knew" I could beat for a few k hands, just to get the confidence back. It was huge.

impeccable table selection is huge too. it's a lot easier to get your confidence back pounding on terrible players in position. now isn't the time to be trading blows with good lags out of position -- it will send you over the edge.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:39 AM

Default I\'m back baby!

Battling back!

Just played my first session since this post. 1000 hands of 5/10 for $687.75.

Wow, these games are nice compared to 20/40. I can blind steal and not get c/r'd on every f'ing turn! And there are fish...not just lagtard fish but the 70/1/.4 kind!

Ahhh, I love poker again. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This may be the case for me, but I can tell you one thing: I wasn't playing any worse in the last 6-7k hands than I was the 10s of thousands before them. I think the strongest part of my game is keeping level-headed and not tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I almost hate to post this because it will inevitably spark a flurry of "NO YOUR WRONG", but you were tilting. Not admitting you tilt is also a big problem because the first step to overcoming it is accepting it and taking breaks when you feel it coming on. It is not possible to lose 1/3rd of your bankroll and not tilt.

Let me be the first person to say that I tilt and tilt pretty badly sometimes. I tilt when I get 5 dollar parking tickets. I tilt when I'm donking around in 5/10 and someone hits their straight flush draw to crack my wired pair of 2's on the river and it goes check check. As you move higher and higher tilt will affect you more and more because you're playing with more significant amounts of money, and it's something you aren't equipped to deal with. There have been times where I'll fire up 8 tables, only to have AA cracked on 7 seperate tables at the same time within 2 minutes. That's ok, I just take a break. And there are other times I take a bunch of bad beats, but I'm playing well and feeling well, so I'll get 5-6k hands in.

I've sweated people online and watched them make the most tilt-fueled plays and then try to justify it to me. Wow, just say "Oops, [censored], I tilted." and take a five minute break. Your winrate will thank you. Most people's reaction when I mention something like this is "Oh, well he obviously doesn't know me. That may apply to other people, but not me" followed by a summary of how they don't fall into this category. Whatever. I won't argue it. But you really should be aware of your emotional state at all times.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 PM

I took a 200bb swing this NOV. In the downswing crew!
Old 11-29-2005, 02:31 PM

I'm sorry to say that I may post another losing month for November. This has a lot to do with playing "some" $30/$60 and geting beat for a frightening amount again (well,for me at least), and then going to a lower limit and trying to recoup it all.

For the last four months, my win rate is only 40% of what it was the first 7 months of the year - and when your monthly nut is high, that's not a good thing.

Hang in there, eventually the good hands will start coming your way again (yeah, I'm tallking as much to myself as to everybody else [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like November is kind of like re-living the mass-downswing that much of 2+2 had back in January.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, for me it was September. I had a great month of August, playing 20/40 on Party. In September, I went into freefall. I'm not sure what my loss was in BB, as I dropped limits, first to 10/20, then to 5/10. I was near even for October and have made a modest comeback in November.

I think the downswing was a combination of running bad and failing to adapt to changing game conditions. The 15/30 and 20/40 games, and to some extent the 10/20 games have gotten tougher. There has been noticeable decline in the number of super-LAG type players. I think that, prior to September, these were the players I was making most of my money from. I also think that I had started playing on auto-pilot. I found, in September, that I was frequently getting raised on the turn when I had a decent hand, i.e. tpgk, or middle pair ace kicker, etc., getting raised on the turn, and calling down do be shown a better hand. I had fallen into the habit of calling down, or sometimes playing back, with any decent hand. This worked against the maniacs. It was disastrous against the TAG, semi-LAG and weak tight players I was continuing to do it against. I also think that my play had become too predictable. A lot of players were getting good reads on me and taking advantage of my predictability.

I'm back to 15/30 now, but still pretty short banked, so I may yet have to move back down. I think it is still beatable, but the lower population of LAG's makes it less profitable than it once was. I still see a lot of atrocious pre-flop play. I see a lot of people limping, even open limping, with really bad hands. However, I don't see as much cold calling as I would like. In fact, I find I need to put in the occasional EP or MP open raise with Axs or suited connectors, to keep from just stealing the blinds with my really good hands. The post-flop play is mostly pretty reasonable now, but there are some weak-tight players, and some that are too passive with good draws, and stilla few LAG's. But the LAG's are generally not as stupid as they were a few months ago. I really think most my edge is pre-flop now, with some edge coming from proper semi-bluff and bluff frequency. OTOH, the 5/10 games are still quite soft, and the 10/20 still has a fair population of LAG's (especially the 6 max). I'm going to try to get back to 20/40, or maybe 30/60, but if those games get too tough, muti-table grinding at the lower limits may prove to be the better option.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:45 PM

I have wondered if the mid and high stakes limit games will just keep getting tougher. I just think everyone coming into poker wants to play NL these days. People making an easy living off of mid/high limit might need to adjust as most of the new fish wants to go all in, and not play boring limit. Just a thought..
Old 11-29-2005, 10:15 PM

hey man, there aint no shame in dropping limits. I've done it before, and I know others who have as well. I think one of the best strengths a poker player can have is a lack of ego. In the long run something like this can even help as it gives you something to prove and reignites motivation that might have been stagnateing. Youll bounce back. Im not even gunna wish you luck, cuz I know you dont need it.