Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 AM

Default $2/$4 Stud/8-Strange 3rd line/hand

A little over two weeks ago, I heard about/started playing “Royal” Holdem on UB. For those of you who don’t know the game, it is played six-handed with a 20-card deck, Aces thru Tens.

I’ve never had more fun playing poker in my life. Nothing like holding the stone cold nuts and having someone raise you and call your re-raise, yahoo.

Well, it looks like it is drying up, which was inevitable. Last night I noticed 3-4 $2/$4 Stud/8 games going on Party and thought, all right! Sat down and got my ass kicked, but left before the bruises appeared.

Tried again today and did OK but it was a strange game. My line on third was weird I guess and maybe the whole hand stunk, but here it is.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (4.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (8.50 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (11.50 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (11.50 BB)
Old 11-22-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: $2/$4 Stud/8-Strange 3rd line/hand

Def raise third and try to limit the field. I would probably check 6th, but the rest looks good.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:48 AM

I believe it's right to raise on 3rd.You want these big pairs against as small of a field as possible in high/low.From your comment,it seems that you already know this.Looks like this hand worked out for you,though.I'm not sure what you're looking for with this post.Rest of the hand seems fine.Good luck.Ben.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:51 AM

How passive has your table been? They all caught crap on 4th but most of them called anyway (ick).

You caught another junk card on 5th. Spades are pretty dead and two guys with babies in the door caught small cards. I really don't like a bet here. Not only because your hand is pretty lousy and because you're even less likely to get anyone to fold, but also to see who else might bet out here to see who's got any strength.

6th is a must bet I think. I'm not worried about Seat 6 pairing his Eights and since Seat 5 only called, he likely hasn't made his low hand yet.

I think you probably still have the best hand at the river so I think might be worth a bet here.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:08 AM

This Royal hold'em sounds amusing. One thing I like about on-line poker is that you can play almost any fool game. I am demonstrating my incompetence at PLO8 as I write this.

On third, I'd raise. I think calling is your worst option, and I think you know this. I think you played the rest just fine.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Results

Well, I see I’ve posted another fine hand. If I let these hands age a day or so my post count would be lower.

This table was pretty loose, although maybe not as loose as this hand reflects.

I don’t play Kings in Stud/8 when Aces are out although I’m not sure that’s a good hard and fast rule. An Ace folded in front of me but there was another one last to act.

Normally I would just toss the hand but wondered what would happen if I limped. There are three spades out besides mine and I limp with a King [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the door. I half expected the high hands to bullet fold and the Ace to raise. When the opposite happened, I couldn’t help but laugh.

I didn’t bet the river because I lot my nerve.

Seat 5: [ 6d 8h 5d Kd 6h Ac 9d ] [ a pair of sixes -- Ac,Kd,9d,6d,6h ]

Seat 6: [ 6c 7c 5h Td 8s 8c 5c ] [ two pairs, eights and fives -- Td,8s,8c,5h,5c ]

Hero: [ 2s Kh Ks 4d 7s 4c Ad ] [ two pairs, kings and fours -- Ad,Kh,Ks,4d,4c ]
Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 PM

I don’t like to multi-table and am not really set up for it. I don’t recall what resolution I have set on my laptop but think it’s about 1024 X 768 which results in a fair amount of overlap.

However, if the Stud/8 games went better on Paradise I would spend most of my time playing one table of Stud/8 and one of PL O/8.

P.S. I hear you can play Padoogi over at Doyle's Room. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]