Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-19-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Slow Play? #1 (PLO8)

The game is 200 PLO8 at party. My stack is 200 the same as everyone else in the hand.

I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the small blind.

2 callers from middle position, cut-off min raises, I call, BB calls, the 2 original callers call his min raise, 5 see the flop.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](19 in the middle)

I am first to act and check, everyone checks right behind me.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](19 in the middle)

Hero ?

Ill post results later, just want some opinions before I post them.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Slow Play? #1 (PLO8)

I easily fold this preflop. You have no real low draw and QQ qith no suits, being OOP to a raise. Yes, it's a minraise, but your hand still sucks. And if someone behind you raises, you cannot continue in the hand regardless. So I think that's a somewhat medium mistake calling this pf.

You hit your money card on the turn, but you can't really like any card except a J-7-5-Q on the river. Only a deuce does not enable a straight on the river. Someting like A46x or A368 is very possible. KTxx is less likely unless they have two paints to go with it or A2/A3/A4s. You're a coinflip with a lot of hands with a flush draw/OESD, 3-1 favorite over nut flush w/ non-straight low draws. You can pot this, but be ready to fold this on a bad river if there are multiple calls to your turn bet.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I easily fold this preflop. You have no real low draw and QQ qith no suits, being OOP to a raise. Yes, it's a minraise, but your hand still sucks. And if someone behind you raises, you cannot continue in the hand regardless. So I think that's a somewhat medium mistake calling this pf.

You hit your money card on the turn, but you can't really like any card except a J-7-5-Q on the river. Only a deuce does not enable a straight on the river. Someting like A46x or A368 is very possible. KTxx is less likely unless they have two paints to go with it or A2/A3/A4s. You're a coinflip with a lot of hands with a flush draw/OESD, 3-1 favorite over nut flush w/ non-straight low draws. You can pot this, but be ready to fold this on a bad river if there are multiple calls to your turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked hoping to pot raise anyone that tried to pick it up. Well it got checked through once again.

River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero ?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:22 AM

Check-fold; you have to assume somebody has quads.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:57 AM

That's a [censored] horrible spot to check. There are a mega bazillion draws out there, some of which will pay you now but not on a board pairing or high river, all of which you're giving a free card to. Only check raise in these spots when you're 100% certain someone will bet. That usually only happens when you're up against a maniac, a preflop raiser following through on the flop, or a nice coordinated board for which you hold the nuts.

On the river make it $5 and pray someone has something to raise you with. It's a pretty [censored] board for most hands, there are no straights, no flushes, no lows...
Old 11-20-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a [censored] horrible spot to check. There are a mega bazillion draws out there, some of which will pay you now but not on a board pairing or high river, all of which you're giving a free card to. Only check raise in these spots when you're 100% certain someone will bet. That usually only happens when you're up against a maniac, a preflop raiser following through on the flop, or a nice coordinated board for which you hold the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well a guy raised preflop, sort of, and 4 people were behind me and 2 had shown a bit of aggression in previous hands. I just couldnt believe it got checked through. Thats what made this hand so funny and pretty much worth posting.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:03 AM

J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

What precisely are people betting with here? It's a board of gutshots, low draws, maybe an OESD, maybe a flush draw. It's scary spot to bet for virtually any holding.

Contrast this with:

3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

where you could expect a bet from a lot of holdings.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

What precisely are people betting with here? It's a board of gutshots, low draws, maybe an OESD, maybe a flush draw. It's scary spot to bet for virtually any holding.

Contrast this with:

3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

where you could expect a bet from a lot of holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 bucks in the middle everyone checked the flop, I was thinking maybe someone would take a stab at it. I guess not, I screwed up this hand pretty badly. Also what do you think of checking the river?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On the river make it $5 and pray someone has something to raise you with. It's a pretty [censored] board for most hands, there are no straights, no flushes, no lows...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. Terrible spot to go for a check raise.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:41 AM

As stupid as that sounds,
I agree. Quads have killed
me over the last few days
as per my other post, and
3 other times in the past
two days, out of like 500 hands
where overfulls loses to quads.

Gregery or buzz discussed it with
me awhile back, more common than
I thought it would be.