Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Poker Tournaments in FL Shut Down?

Just talked to Derby Lane and they were unaware of the tournaments starting back up in Jax and they ARE NOT running their tournament tomorrow, still shut down....
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 AM

Just to bump this for the Florida crowd:

From what I heard, because the chips in the tourneys had numerical values printed on them that were more than $2, they were stopped. The PR in Jax (apparently, I have not seen them) got new chips that had fractional values (1/25000 of a cent) to get around the law.

This state is full of retards.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:24 AM

The tournaments have returned to Derby Lane.

From the posting on the DL website.

"Derby Lane will conduct poker tournaments based on the guidelines set by the Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering and in compliance with Florida Statute and Administrative Code.
All tournament chips have value but are not redeemable once tournament play begins. All rules are available in the poker room."

Whatinthehell is wrong with the decision makers in this state?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:43 PM

Looks like Dania Jai Alai (just south of Fort Lauderdale) has adjusted their tournament structure. From http://www.dania-jai-alai.com:

[ QUOTE ]

Chips used in Dania Jai-Alai Cardroom Tournaments have an equivalent cash value of one one thousandths (0.001) of a cent for each unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the very big downside, the buy-in for the mini tournaments is $32 + $13. Yes, $13, not a misprint. I'm so desperate for live poker I'm considering checking it out. Also, it's a 10 minute drive from my house. Dealers don't actually expect tips on top of the house fee do they?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:08 PM

Score one for Flori-duh. They could have avoided this fiasco by writing "NO CASH VALUE" on all their chips.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Score one for Flori-duh. They could have avoided this fiasco by writing "NO CASH VALUE" on all their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think the issue was that they didn't have cash value. That's why they're now saying they have a value of a fraction of a cent. On the derby lane page they say that "they can not be redeemed for cash after the tournament begins".

And to the previous poster, $13 vig on $32 tournaments is the standard in FL.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:54 AM

And yes, the Vig has ALWAYS been insane, beggars can't be choosers in this day and age!

[ QUOTE ]
The tournaments have returned to Derby Lane.

From the posting on the DL website.

"Derby Lane will conduct poker tournaments based on the guidelines set by the Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering and in compliance with Florida Statute and Administrative Code.
All tournament chips have value but are not redeemable once tournament play begins. All rules are available in the poker room."

Whatinthehell is wrong with the decision makers in this state?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, Derby Lane is back up and running their tournies, will be playing in the 150 person on Saturday as usual. Leave it to the FL politicians to phuck things up!
Old 11-25-2005, 03:41 AM

How is the structure for Derby Lane's tournaments? I went over there several months ago on a Saturday but it was sold out. Last week I played in the $50 + $10 tournament on Suncruz and I was just wondering how they compared. Out there you start with 10,000, blinds go up every 15 minutes, 100/200, 200/400, 300/500, 500/1K, 1K/2K, 2K/4K, 3K/5K, 5K/10K, 10K/20K, 10K/20K/5K ante.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 PM

It sucks...LOL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but I like to play live and it's a good time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Start out with T700 and blinds increase every 20 minutes. Starts at 10/15, then 15/25, 25/50, 50/100, 100/200, 200/400, 300/600, 500/1000.

I played in the 450 person Haloween tourney and with 3 tables left, the average stack was T10k with blinds at 1000/2000...SUCKS!

Tampa Bay Downs card room, Silks has a nightly 6:30 tourney when the open in December and that's T1000 to start with 2 extra blind levels, MUCH better tourney!

Then there's the $500+50 at Hard Rock in Tampa, last Saturday of every month, that's a good structure!
Old 11-25-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the very big downside, the buy-in for the mini tournaments is $32 + $13. Yes, $13, not a misprint. I'm so desperate for live poker I'm considering checking it out. Also, it's a 10 minute drive from my house. Dealers don't actually expect tips on top of the house fee do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, absolutely you're expected to tip the dealer. Standard is 10% of your payoff.