Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Sheraton Hotel comp - Tunica

Lots of talk about getting the poker room-rate at the Gold Strike or Horseshoe.

For those looking for bargains I share my recent experience.

Month ago or so we head over to the Sheraton to play some blackjack. When I go to Tunica with the GF I play almost no poker. We just go to drink, make fun of people, play some blackjack., have fun with the dealers, etc.

Anyway...sign-up for the Sheraton players' card.
Couple weeks later I get some coupons in the mail...inclu
ding one for a free night in the hotel there (Mon-Thu).
following week I get a coupon for a night in the 'jacuzzi suite' for only $39.

GF and I decide to go for the jacuzzi.

Anyway - when we get there we learn that all of their rooms are jacuzzi suites and are exactly the same.
Would you like to use the coupon for the free room instead?
Um....yeah...if they're all the same then I think free is better than $39.

In short...the rooms were really quite nice.
They would be a bargain at $39 and obviously for free it's pretty darn good.
I would rate the rooms as being nicer than the regular gold Strike rooms (never stayed in a suite at Gold Strike though).

If you ever have plans on heading to Tunica on a Sun-Thurs then I highly recommend heading over to the Sheraton and signing-up for a players' card and taking advantage of the coupons for the free/discount jacuzzi-suite rooms you are likely to receive.

They're really nice rooms...and you aren't obligated to play 5 or 6 hours in one room when you might prefer to be somewhere else.

As for the trip:
finished up about $50 playing blackjack (I card-count...but am not too diligent about it...so I'm probably break-even to barely +EV), drank A LOT, enjoyed the jacuzzi, went back out and drank some more, probably breathed-in about 5 cigarettes worth of 2nd-hand smoke, made fun of the guy in the late-night band at the Horseshoe with the really long hair (especially when he was rocking-out to Led Zep) and generally had a terrific time.

GF and I will almost be definitely be staying at the Sheraton again...whether it's free or $39. (I think they're regularly priced $99 on weekdays...no idea how much on weekends).
Old 11-11-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Sheraton Hotel comp - Tunica

[ QUOTE ]
Month ago or so we head over to the Sheraton to play some blackjack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I thought someone had said they turned the Sheraton into a slot-only joint.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:42 PM

Agreed with Bob here. I used to work for an ad agency who handled Sheraton's account. I don't know if you guys remember Sheraton's campaign BEFORE the obnoxious orange guy... it was the roman statue themed campaign... I art directed that campaign.

Anyways.. everyone who worked on the account got a cool package including some free play, dinners, and a jacuzzi suite. They are VERY nice... marble with big pillars on either side..right next to the king sized bed. THe Bathrooms are all marble... large leaded-glass window behind the jacuzzi that "looked" into hte bathroom (couldn't see through it).

Very nice rooms... just wanted to back MicroBob up on this one.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM

yes...that's a good description for the rooms.

you gave the kind of travel-channel-descriptive-type-details that are mostly beyond my vocabulary.

Yes...they still have blackjack there.
Although it's my guess that you don't even need to play there to get the coupons sent to you. Just go in and sign-up for a players' card and then they should be sending you coupons in the mail.
I bring some of my play there anyway in hopes that that will keep the coupons coming.

Next time we go down there my GF will sign-up for a players' card also (even though she really doesn't play) and we'll hope to double-up on the coupons.

Again....I don't know if you'll get many free-room coupons unless you are a regular player there...but if you only get the $39/night (for Sun-Thu) coupons then I still think it's worth it.

We like the Gold Strike rooms just fine...but the Sheraton suites were definitely better.