Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:04 AM

Default who are the high-limit maniacs?

you know the guys who sit at the shorthanded big games and bet and raise pretty much every chance they get, then when the table starts to fill up, they get up and leave, i would imagine this is because they have some kind of craving for action and dont want to have to wait for the hands to finish in the full games, but who are these guys?

for example heres a hand from a guy i just busted at a 3-handed 30/60 game on party:

Party Poker 30.00/60.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(3 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.00 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (11.00 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.00 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 5s 7s (a pair of threes.)
Hero has 7c Tc (a flush, ace high.)
Hero wins 18.98 BB.
</font>

the guy caps the river with 7 high?

i probably shouldnt have played my draw quite this aggressively against him, but i pretty much figured he had nothing and that there was a chance hed lay down to my turn 3-bet, but thats beside the point

i followed this guy around for about an hour or so tonight, between 30/60 games and a 50/100 game that got short, every time the table got to about 5 handed or so, hed leave and sit heads up or by himself waiting, and id sit with him, finally i busted him at a table before it filled up and i think he quit for the night, i dont really feel bad about taking this guys money, its his responsibility and he chooses to donk it up at the big games, plus if i dont do it, somebody else will anyway

but im just having a hard time figuring out this guys motivation, who is he, and why does he throw money away?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: who are the high-limit maniacs?

Lots of these guys dont know how to play poker. If they knew how to read the board properly and just thought a little bit, theyd realize 7 high doesnt win on the river.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 AM

asians mostly

peace

john nickle
Old 11-10-2005, 01:39 PM

"who are the high-limit maniacs?"

Turn: (5.00 BB) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB calls. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Asian kids obv. Aiya!

GoT
Old 11-10-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB calls. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, considering my opposition, that was probably a dumb play, he wasnt likely folding anything, and since i was OOP, if i didnt hit, the pot probably would have been his, im actually really surprised he didnt cap the turn when he actually had a flush draw

but anyway, this isnt a strategy forum, so im not here to talk about my play
Old 11-10-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, considering my opposition, that was probably a dumb play, he wasnt likely folding anything, and since i was OOP, if i didnt hit, the pot probably would have been his, im actually really surprised he didnt cap the turn when he actually had a flush draw

but anyway, this isnt a strategy forum, so im not here to talk about my play

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really just pointing out that on the basis of this hand only, there are two maniacs involved.