Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 03:42 PM

Default HOLDEM or FOLDEM

You are third in chips at the final table with 395000 with chips and on the button with blinds at 10000/20000 and a 1k ante. You have A6 on the button and raise to 40000. A good, extremely aggresive small blind calls with 593000 (2nd in chips). The flop comes 624 rainbow. SB leads out for 70000, and you make it 140000. SB thinks briefly and pushes. Do you HOLDEM or FOLDEM.

*I know some of the decisions leadin up to this point are suspect at best. I'm gonna ask you not to comment on them for now. I'll explain why they were played this way in the results. Also, no going to the fridge to ask Jesus.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: HOLDEM or FOLDEM

I call the push.

Why the miniraise? Why not call or push on the flop. Saves you this decision.

I suppose you can steal with anything on the button, but I am not crazy about raising preflop with a junk hand.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I am not crazy about raising preflop with a junk hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say Ax is a junk hand on the button. Yeah, you might get played back at. And you'd like to just win the pot pre-flop. But you obviously have a hand that rates to be best versus the random blinds.

what's his range of hands here?
You're drawing nearly dead to a flopped straight and if he has a set you're pretty cooked. Honestly I can't see folding. Of course I have not thougt it through as well as I should....

i'd hold 'em. might be tougher without the read.

how many are left at the FT?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM

holdddddddem.

If i added up the pot right, it's your last 200k to win nearly 600k in the pot.

He's aggressive and he didnt reraise you PF, so i think middle pairs aren't part of his range (or arent there often). Maybe he's slowplaying QQ+, but even that doesnt seem right. I think he's just defending with crap. He could have lots of hands that you beat (45, 56, 67, etc etc) and i think he'd play them similar to the way this went down. He bets out expecting you to raise, you make a minraise, so he decides you missed your overcards and he pushes.

anyways, w/ 3:1 pot odds, you dont even have to be ahead often, but i think you are.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

*I know some of the decisions leadin up to this point are suspect at best. I'm gonna ask you not to comment on them for now. I'll explain why they were played this way in the results. Also, no going to the fridge to ask Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Difficult to answer without knowing why you got here. Whatever caused you to play this way against this opponent also affects the river decision.

(ironically, this is the (obvious) flaw in the commercials)

In a vacuum, foldem.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:53 PM

6 left. You started the hand in 3rd. If you call and win you will jump to 2nd about 10000 behind first. If you fold you will be in 4th with 5th and 6th being very short.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6 left. You started the hand in 3rd. If you call and win you will jump to 2nd about 10000 behind first. If you fold you will be in 4th with 5th and 6th being very short.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate everything about this hand, so I might as well call. You already have almost half your stack in, I call and hope to see 67s/65s.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:57 PM

I think the pot odds are pretty irrelevant here. The tournament equity is significantly more important, and I don't know the pay structure, so it's hard to say. Have you seen this guy overplay top pair this way? Middle pair? What's your history with him? Does he think you're tight? Would he put you on a bluff here?

I'd say it's pretty likely that he has a worse-kicker 6 and puts you on overcards, but it's hard to say without some history.

Raise more earlier so that it makes his decisions more difficult. I don't really like pushing early, but stop minraising. It's bad.

-mark