Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Default For fellow non-christians: thoughts on christmas/winter solstice?

After a debate in my head of whether to stick this post in OOT or SMP, I decided to go with the latter. If this is more appropriate for OOT, feel free to move it.

I grew up Christian. Sort of. My parents weren't very strict about religion; they didn't even go to church themselves. They did make me go to Sunday school though so I did, at one point, consider myself Christian. However, when I was about 17 I renounced religion and became agnostic (I'm 23 now, by the way).

Growing up, like most american families, we celebrated christmas. We didn't really focus on Jesus at all, it was more about holiday music, giving and receiving presents, christmas decorations, going to my grandmother's house where the entire family met, etc.

The christmas tradition has always been a part of my life and to be honest, I like celebrating it and I like the holiday season, despite the fact that I think Jesus and the bible are bogus. Are there any other non-christians that feel this way? Do you still celebrate christmas? And if so, do you only do it because of spousal or family pressures? Or, do you make it a point that you are in fact celebrating the Winter solstice (the pagan holiday christmas is based on)?

My last thought is about children. I don't have any children and it will be many years before I do, but I often wonder how I will handle this situation. I would obviously not raise my children to be religious since I am not myself, but I'm wondering if celebrating christmas with them would send them some sort of mixed message. On the other hand, if I celebrated Winter solstice with them, I am afraid word would get around and they would be subject to ridicule or scorn from their peers because they're part of "that kooky family" that celebrates Winter solstice. Thoughts?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: For fellow non-christians: thoughts on christmas/winter solstice?

Festivus!

The Festivus celebration includes three major components:

The Festivus Pole: The Costanzas' tradition begins with a bare aluminum pole, which Frank praises for its "very high strength-to-weight ratio." During Festivus, an unadorned aluminum pole is displayed, apparently in opposition to the commercialization of highly decorated Christmas trees, and because the holiday's creator, Frank Costanza, "find[s] tinsel distracting." Local customs vary and you may be able to decorate your pole with non-threatening plain decorations, or ordinary green garland.

The Airing of Grievances: At the Festivus dinner, each participant tells friends and family all of the instances where they disappointed him or her that year.

The Feats of Strength: The head of the family tests his or her strength against one participant of the head's choosing. Festivus is not considered over until the head of the family has been pinned to the ground. A participant is allowed to decline to attempt to pin the head of the family only if they have something better to do instead.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
Old 11-09-2005, 03:18 PM

In this country, christmas has been almost entirely secularized. Very little is said about Jesus' birthday and very much is said about Santa Claus. Unless you're going to midnight mass, or singing happy birthday, you're celebrating the secularized christmas of most of the country.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM

Think of it as a good time to teach your children about Christianity and how much it took from older pagan religions (re: Mithras). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Then explain to them how it's mostly a secular holiday now and the point is just to eat until it hurts... a lot.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Festivus!

[/ QUOTE ]

NH
Old 11-09-2005, 03:36 PM

Festivus is the holiday for the rest of us!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of it as a good time to teach your children about Christianity and how much it took from older pagan religions (re: Mithras). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Then explain to them how it's mostly a secular holiday now and the point is just to eat until it hurts... a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, the point is to buy a whole bunch of [censored]. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 PM

I grew up "sort of Christian" as well and I still celebrate Christmas but under no religious basis. If you do have kids, then you can just treat it like Easter as I'm sure most secular families do. Easter is about the Easter bunny and finding eggs and nothing more. Most people don't even know why we celebrate Easter. So for Christmas, you can just have the whole Santa and Rudolph thing without Jesus and your children will probably enjoy it as much as you did when you were young. Kids aren't excited about Jesus when they're young, they are excited about Santa and Rudolph.

btw, Festivus is not a bad idea. If I were ever invited to a Festivus celebration I would surely go.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:16 PM

The poster formerly known as kidluckee,

For some reason I am not shocked you are a Festivian. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I think it is good that you finally came out of the closet (are you relieved now?)

All your posts are starting to make sense to me now. I have a better idea of what you are all about. I had totally misunderstood you until now.

RJT

p.s. My humor is not always evident - I am joking of course.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. Very little is said about Jesus' birthday and very much is said about Santa Claus.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe that's because it wasn't really Jesus's birthday [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]