Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Making the next leap

I've found the biggest differences at both limit and NL is that the winners in the bigger games are generally much better hand-readers and they have a much better idea than most about their true equity in a pot vs. a reasonable set of opponent hand ranges. Work on doing that quickly and accurately. Also, raise more and fold more.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Also, raise more and fold more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm not even near the level you're talking about but as I get better and better I see myself finding more places I can fold for the above reasons. Stuff like judging that my equity and the pot are too small to protect my hand, or that I know that the guy behind me has 3 outs at most and the guy betting probably has me beat and I'm better off calling.

am I going to start playing more aggressively as I get better?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:20 PM

Maybe post some of your key stats (VPIP/PFR/AF/WSD/W$SD/ and your blind stealing/defense stats)

Break them up according to number of players. 6 or more and 5 or less.

This probably won't help any of us spot subtle post flop problems, but any glaring leaks should be apparent.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:50 AM

Default trying to get to showdown....

to tell you the truth i dont see this as a bad thing in general. peeling and turn raising with air HU is epidemic on line and id rather just not play that game show down my hand and move on. ive never seen anyone on here post a line that beats: bet/raise the flop, check the turn call the river HU w/ unimproved AK or small pair against an aggressive blind.

in my experience the amount of money you make inducing a river bluff outweighs what you lose giving a free card and lets you avoid getting cr'd on the turn.

out of position after a 3 bet i check raise the flop or turn or river when ever my opponent bets then i follow up and will fold to a raise.

these situations arent what im looking for on line i just skate past them. the money is made when you hold a hand and then the donk cr's u on the turn.

note; if an ace flops i play faster because even the 2+2 super spews wont cr w/ air on an ace high board against a raiser
Old 11-10-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found the biggest differences at both limit and NL is that the winners in the bigger games are generally much better hand-readers and they have a much better idea than most about their true equity in a pot vs. a reasonable set of opponent hand ranges. Work on doing that quickly and accurately. Also, raise more and fold more.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, El D.'s advice is spot on here. That is not to say that i am the best at it, but my second shot at 30-60 was much more sucessful than my first, and that was probably the biggest reason why. I also feel that there is a very significant jump between 30-60 and higher limits on most sites, and the sucessful players at these limits have a phenomal understanding of their hand value in relation to the baord and previous action, and can play it accordingly.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 AM

players at higher limits think more. they know when the board is ragged and it's likely you missed. if they catch you folding to a lot of turn raises, they will start raising you more on the turn. if you always wait for the turn HU to raise, they will catch on and begin to fold. if you tend to bet a lot of flops and check/fold a lot of turns HU out of position, they will peel a lot of flops hoping you check/fodl the turn. if you raise every flop with a flush draw or OESD, they will call you down more with crappier hands.

the best thing to do against these sorts of players is to figure out exactly HOW someone plays. i think 30/60 is probably the first limit where my opponent's hand is far far more important than mine. i am constantly being put to the test. i miss most flops and turns, so making key calldowns in large pots is a huge portion of my EV.

i highly suggest making in depth notes on every player, either mentally or using the "notes" option. it's surprising how accurate your reads can be sometimes.