Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Making the next leap

I have a long-term winning record at all major sites. Starting at each site with $1000, I have built independent bankrolls and been successful at all limits up to 15-30, on many major sites - UltimateBet, FullTilt, Party, Empire, Pacific, and Paradise. I have, over the last 3 months, been gradually moving up to play 30-60 and 50-100 at UB, Party, Pacific, and Full Tilt, and subsequently dropped about 15k. (yes, I dropped 200 BBs on Pacific Poker.)

I do feel that I'm running bad, but I'm also tilting and just trying to get to showdown with any Ace-high and pocket pair hands. In other words, I've stopped thinking, and just been playing on auto-pilot.

I'm also trying to break through and really learn to conquer the higher online limits. 15-30 income is nice, but there must be more money to be made. I play for a living while in law school, but only play 2-3 tables.

Any advice? Is this just burnout?

What do the successful 30-60 and up players have that I don't? I would put my intelligence up against anyone's, but my poker skills are certainly not top tier. How can I get them there?

EDIT: I played almost exclusively LHE full ring games, and most sites' 30-60 and higher are shorthanded. Hence, getting to showdown with A-high and PP hands are from 2-5 handed tables. I read the shorthanded section of HPFAP often enough, but I just don't win shorthanded at high limits.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Making the next leap

I'm not an expert, but you got to stop "just trying to get to showdown with any Ace-high and pocket pair hands."

Soh
Old 11-09-2005, 11:12 AM

Post has been edited to include the fact that those hands are usually begin HU or 3-4 handed.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:33 PM

Afraid there is no secret formula to beating the higher limit games. And no one is really going to be able to offer any insights or advice without knowing anything about how you play in general.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:37 PM

If you are playing very short, like hu to 4 handed, don't play more than 2 tables if your confidence is down. Sometimes the speed of play makes it harder to make decisions and then you tend to call down more with ace high etc, without seeing a more complete picture of what is going on in the game, etc. . .
Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Playing 30/60 shorthanded, dropping 200 BB is nothing. Downswings like that are going to happen no matter how good you are. As long as you can spot at least one player at your table making easily identifiable errors, you can profit at 30/60 simply by playing ABC poker. Just keep cool and stay off tilt and avoid any table where you can't find fish.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:52 PM

Trying playing in the 10/20 6max games at party, that should go a long way to help your shorthanded game, also the games are very beatable. If you are truely having problems with 6max maybe even try dropping down to 5/10 6max.

Also make sure you are reading the HUSH forum as well.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Afraid there is no secret formula to beating the higher limit games. And no one is really going to be able to offer any insights or advice without knowing anything about how you play in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, this is obvious (but seeing as obvious things often need pointing out, it is appreciated).

How would I get people to know how I play in general? Exchange hand histories? hire a coach (i can't afford to pay ridiculous sums to a coach)? I've posted hands here in the past, but i usually have trouble figuring out which hands to post because i make decisions so fast, right or wrong. I rarely truly think for a long time. If the price is right and I have a reasonable (read: +EV) shot at winning I call. If I feel I'm best and will get called if I raise, I raise. With more complicated plays (free cards, check-raising to knock out middlemen, bluffs, and semibluffs) thrown in when I think they'll work. These are standard plays at full games that don't always do good at ring games because hand ranges are so wide.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 PM

There was a great PDF document circulating a while back that was basically a HUSH primer but mostly for 6-handed, which I'm slightly more comfortable with (thanks to reading it a few times). I'm talking super-short.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 PM

I feel better than average, but I also find myself making serious mistakes. Calling too much because I feel I'm going to get run over if I don't have backbone is a big one I think.