Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Baltimore MD Cardroom Busted

LINK TO STORY

This was a very on-the-level and honest place. According to players that were there, the police were not kidding around: dogs, screaming, guns drawn, etc. Wih all the problems that Baltimore City faces, isn't it sick that the suits, (not the cops, who probably don't give a damn) get to pretend like they are making some progress by busting a bunch of retired old guys? Unlike in New York, it IS illegal to even play poker, and now 100 people are facing a year in jail. If you want to help please write to these people:

Sheila Pratt Dixon's (City Council President) Chief of Staff

btripps@baltimorecitycouncil.com

For the gov, you gotta go here: http://www.gov.state.md.us/mail/

Mayor of Baltimore:

mayor@baltimorecity.gov

President of MD General Assembly:

Thomas_V_Mike_Miller@senate.state.md.us

Say whatever you want, but you could copy and paste this if you want:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am disturbed to hear about the recent criminal investigation of certain members of your community for playing poker. Poker is a game of skill that encourages camaraderie and fair social interaction and is far better for society than any sort of organized gambling, including horse racing and playing the lottery! Don’t the police in our district have better and more serious things to do than disturb your constituents having some utterly harmless fun? They are wasting time and our tax dollars. I and my friends will continue to demand that the laws of this state be changed to reflect the modern and up-to-date attitude adopted by California, Florida, and other forward-thinking legislatures: LEGALIZE POKER NOW!
Thank you for your consideration,

Yournamehere.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Baltimore MD Cardroom Busted

I think that is bad idea to include Florida as a forward thinking state. Other than poker, I would think most consider florida a little behind the times.

Maybe you should launch an investigation into the politicians (local and national) that play poker underground and indicate that Ms. Dixon may not want to be responsible for the outcome of said investigation.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 AM

Well, I have talked to three different people who were at the club when the bust occurred. And none of their stories match the frenzy and terror that I just read about in your post and in that article. There were cash games going on that weren't even shut down!

Also, your little diatribe about poker is absurd. If you want it to be leaglized, that's all well and good, but your argument that it is "far better for society" doesn't hold much water.

Anyway, if some genius didn't put an ad in the paper advertising the tournament maybe this would not have happened. Either that or the illegal booze... which is probably what got vice interested in the first place.

Take care,
tpir
Old 11-04-2005, 12:43 PM

Fair enough. Some responses:

1. My diatribe is hyperbole meant to get through to politicians who know nothing about poker, not make accurate statements. It is (sorta) what I believe, but I would expect someone who wants to help to write their own letter if they felt like it. If they don't they could copy mine.

2. I was just going by the article and things I've heard second hand. If it was a nice quiet blitzkrieg, I guess I have no point... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Though if the cash games continued, I'll eat my hat with 4 sticks of butter.

3. The attitude that "they got what they deserved" for advertising a game is what really makes me mad. This is exactly what lawmakers want you to think about absurd and punitive laws that exist only to give politicians scapegoats. They SHOULD NOT have to be sneaky. The law should be changed and poker should be legal. They will never change the laws unless more incidents like this occur, more upstanding members of society get busted, and more regular people tell the lawmakers/law enforcement that they think the whole thing is stupid. It will certainly take more than that, but it won’t happen at all if people continue to hide poker clubs away and try to appease whatever arbitrary loophole they think will keep the police out of their joint. The fact is, the Liquor Board/cops would have (and have in the past) busted 1. Dry game 2. Games without a rake 3. Games in people’s homes. So the policy of silence and keeping your head down doesn’t work. It just makes unjust laws continue. [/little diatribe #2]

I've already heard back from the Mayor's Office. Please, even if you don't agree with anything I've said, write SOMETHING to one of these addresses today. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what lawmakers want you to think about absurd and punitive laws that exist only to give politicians scapegoats. They SHOULD NOT have to be sneaky. The law should be changed and poker should be legal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not disagreeing with this. But poker at the moment is not legal... and just because people think it should be does not excuse them from being punished if the law is broken. Same goes with liquor laws. The reasons behind them might be crooked, but that doesn't mean you can serve booze to anyone you feel like and not expect the vice squad to show up.

And I will double-check with my friends... but it was my understanding that the tournament was shut down but the people playing cash games were left alone. I know that cash on the people involved was not taken which usually happens at these raids.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:25 PM

Dude the game was run for profit, I have no problem with the police raiding these games. What was the owner doing with his monthly profit? He certainly wasn't declaring it as income. Now if this was a non raked home game I would agree with your stance.......
Old 11-04-2005, 02:31 PM

Well I am sure it all didnt go to the warehouse but Baltimore could use some refurbishing and taking over a run down warehouse almost sounds like a good idea rake and all.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:07 PM

This is very strange. I have gotten written confirmation from the Indy PD that poker games won't get broken up around here. I even play with cops at the illegal poker joint around the corner. Baltimore is a very very dangerous city, busting up poker houses is ridiculous.

Indy
Old 11-04-2005, 11:18 PM

On the surface it seems rediculous,but these games can be unsafe for the players and the owners can be mob connected. These games aren't friendly social games like the owners pretend it is. If the games were they wouldn't rake them......
Old 11-05-2005, 12:30 AM

I feel lucky, I was staying at a hotel just a few blocks from where this bust took place and would of been there if I know about the club.

I didn't realize that playing cards was a crime in Maryland. I read that the players face a 1200 dollar fine and or one year in Jail.