Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Top Heavy Satellites

So I lucked into an affiliate satellite this weekend on Absolute, where first prize is a WSOP seat and the others, well they may not be zip, but I think it’s close…

I’ve heard estimates of 40-60 people. I’d guess that the blinds/antes move quicker than normal, but maybe that’s untrue. Absolute blind levels are pretty quick anyway!

I’ve never played in a big tourney that was so top-heavy…essentially winner take all…I’d have to assume that strategy changes when there is almost no equity in 2nd-etc. (That's the first question then: DOES strategy differ at all in these structures?)

Here are some ideas, please comment, particularly if you have had some experience with these kinds of things:

1. More aggression needed, especially at the final table. Can’t wait for hands even if chip stacks are OK. Must be larger stack going in, ss almost 0 chance.
2. But the need to knock people out is vital also. So you may not need the perfect odds to call a short stack’s all-in with something like Kxs
3. What I expect to see in an affiliate tourney is a lot of weak tight play…not a lot of limping or fancy bluffing pre-flop early on... OR I might expect the opposite! Some people on a freeroll might like to push with small pairs, aj, etc, cuz hey, its free! Have to judge which is which…
4. Big draws may be played against several opponents a bit more freely. Either tripleup or go home…(I mean calling 2 allins with AK, raising ai with oesd against bettor/call etc.)
5.Bubble play doesn’t matter, even if there is money in the prize pool, since a. it’s a freeroll, b. 1st >others by so much…the only bubble is heads up.
6. Less value betting more dropping bombs with the goods to double up. Example: 55 on button, call. 5 on flop, checks around: you min bet. Called in one/two places. Flop blank, checked 2 you: massive overbet.
7. BUT: Sometimes you may want to slowplay less powerful hands against dangerous boards too…Example: AQ in LP: Normal raise, called by button. Flop AXX where xx is suited, not your suit. Maybe: Check call if bet? If no flush on turn, check call again? Huge bet on river if no flush comes to represent missed f.d., suck in Ax (or lose big to AK, but w/e)…? Example may be poor, but theory=ok?
8. Finally, should I adjust M up?
Dead=Red, 7-12=Red, 12-20=Yellow etc?

I did do a search but if this was discussed before please gimmie LINKY.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Top Heavy Satellites

You generally make EV+ plays and don't worry about survival.

Since other people will not be trying to move up in places, it may be harder to bully with a big stack. Also resteals and similar moves may be less effective.

I haven't played on Absolute, but my experience with winner take all supersatellites is the play stays loose for a long time. There are usually a lot of loose fish in $200 major tournament supersatellite, so in a freeroll it will be a lot worse.

I would play solidly and play speculative hands early on. I would play solidly later but don't be afriad to gamble.

If you get down to the final 5 or so, I would play very aggressively.