Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 08:25 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default AK hand from last night

Live at the muck!

The guy on my right is playing kind of tight, he also has noticed my play a little. Button is kind of tight and predictable. The other player is a dork.

Dork limps(EMP), player on my right limps(HJ), I raise from the CO with AKo, Button 3 bets(not quite auto, but he definitely was considering it before I chimed in with my chips), blinds scram, dork calls, HJ calls, I cap, all call.

Flop A T 9r

Dork checks, HJ bets...

He hasn't shown much aggression, but then, he hasn't really been in that many hands. But from what I've seen, he hasn't gotten out of line. Definitely not a tricky player.

I call, button now raises almost instantly. Dork calls, HJ now 3 bets.

hmmm....

b
Old 11-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: AK hand from last night

I call and not like it. I think you might need an early exit on the turn if your reads are correct. However if you go ahead and raised initially, then I think this hand becomes a lot easier to play.

Scags
Old 11-02-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However if you go ahead and raised initially, then I think this hand becomes a lot easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe.

With the preflop 3 bettor behind me, I wanted to see how he'd react to the bet with an A on the board. Also, given the pot size, I'm not protecting it against much if anyone has any piece of the flop.

b
Old 11-02-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With the preflop 3 bettor behind me, I wanted to see how he'd react to the bet with an A on the board. Also, given the pot size, I'm not protecting it against much if anyone has any piece of the flop.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

but by not raising on the flop, you really make it tough to determine where you stand... bu could easily be raising there w/ aq or something figuring you for a pocket pair or some broadway gutshot-type hand... i can't imagine any of your opponents suspects you have a hand as strong as ak... the hj betting into you and the dork's cold calls are obviously very worrisome, but by just calling the flop, it's difficult to know where you stand in relation to all this action... given the way you played it, though, i think i muck the flop as hj's line screams of a good two pair or a set.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:57 PM

As others have stated the initial call on the flop greatly expands the buttons raising range, and the other guys 3 betting range. I understand, however, your reason for doing it. Given how the flop action went down, I'd cap. You'll learn a lot about the buttons hand, and if you get led into or get raised on the turn, I think you can safely assume you're drawing dead and can comfortably fold (unless you pick up a gutshot, or an Ace, which changes everything.)

thoughts?

lf
Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 PM

My psychic powers tell me that you will say that you were waiting until the turn to raise so that if it's a blank you can face someone with JT or somesuch with two big bets cold and better protect your hand. If so, I say fancy play syndrome. Raise the flop. The button, a tight player who three-bet pre, could easily have KK/QQ/JJ and if you call he is being offered 19:1 which means he will overcall and be right to do so. There is a good chance he folds these hands now if you raise the flop. Don't let him see the turn cheap.

It's a little worrisome that the straightforward player is betting into you on this flop after the preflop action, but that's life.

As a side note, given the player descriptions I don't think capping preflop is automatic, but it's not really a big deal either way, in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:34 PM

Your flop call was a piece of brilliance. I would now cap. Given the action preflop, the last thing I want to do is give someone with QQ an easy flop decision. Are you behind here? Sometimes. The point is, it's a huge pot, and you have a great hand. Calling again here is an option, but capping may remove a 4 or 5 out draw from donk, and could possibly clear up 2 king outs for you (if he has K10). Still, just calling can let you get a better grip on your opponents hands (seeing if they cap).

Given how you played it on the flop first time around folding is not entering my mind yet, barring ludicrous turn action.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As others have stated the initial call on the flop greatly expands the buttons raising range, and the other guys 3 betting range. I understand, however, your reason for doing it. Given how the flop action went down, I'd cap. You'll learn a lot about the buttons hand, and if you get led into or get raised on the turn, I think you can safely assume you're drawing dead and can comfortably fold (unless you pick up a gutshot, or an Ace, which changes everything.)

thoughts?

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:10 AM

Default well...How I read it...Results (slight correction flop: A T 8)

I haven't played a hand like this in a long time. Which is why it stuck in my mind.

[ QUOTE ]
My psychic powers tell me that you will say that you were waiting until the turn to raise so that if it's a blank you can face someone with JT or somesuch with two big bets cold and better protect your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I was thinking of waiting to the turn, but not necesarily for that reason. There weren't many strong draws on the flop I was really worried about in that regard.

The flop bet into me kind of caught me. I was fully ready to bet the flop until then. The flop obviously hit the guy and he knew I'd be likely to raise. He knows he's betting into a tight player that just capped it preflop. I was more inclined to just see how the button played if I just called. The only guy I could see that would be drawing was the dork. But to god knows what. The only thing I can really protect against here is a pair drawing to the set.

Normally I do raise this for the very reason you state as far as an underpair getting odds. That's my only real concern on the flop that I can protect against. Not to mention the passives that will just call anything. However the way the button put in his bets preflop it just didn't seem like QQ or JJ or AQ, not to mention KK has only 1 out against me. There would've been a little more delay on his putting chips in(I thought of that as I was pondering raising or just calling the flop). So when he raised the flop behind me, and without much hesitation, I figured he had at least AK. When the guy on my right 3 bets, I figure at least 2 pair. There's just no real draw to jam here and he wasn't that active in most hands. So with some of my outs likely gone, and if I hit a 2 pair and it was actually good, I'd likely split it as I'm not getting the button to fold. So I folded. If they were less predictable of players I would've been much more inclined to jam it.

Preflop: If there weren't 2 other players already in, I would've likely just called the 3 bet preflop. I also don't think it's a big deal which way it's played there.

The result was button capped the flop after I folded. Turn went check, HJ bet, button and dork calling.

River The dork bets out(running flush showing) HJ ponders then rolls his eyes and folds, Button folds showing AK while dork shows his turned openended, rivered str8. However, I'm pretty sure he had 67o. So the flop was probably A T 8, turn the 5, river the 4. Sorry 'bout that.

One of the more interesting hands I've played in a long time.

b
Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the action preflop, the last thing I want to do is give someone with QQ an easy flop decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the board and the flop action after I called, the only one who could remotely have QQ is the dork. There is no way the button is raising with an underpair here.

b