Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Can opponents see your cards?

Barry Greenstein mentions this as a possibility if you don't have an adequate firewall. Is it really possible for an opponent to get into your computer and see your hands? Has anyone heard of this happening?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Can opponents see your cards?

No.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM

Some of the cheat at poker sites mention installing a trojan or somthing on the other persons pc so you can see their cards.

How easy or hard etc it is I have no idea, but if you are on the internet you want your pc covered whether playing poker or not imho.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:11 PM

is it possible, yes. is it probable, no. you should have atleast windows firewall running. a comprimised computer can reveal everything.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 PM

It's actually extremely possible.
There was once a trojan going around the internet that when you had it installed on someone elses computer you could view their computer screen in real-time, stuff like this still exists.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was once a trojan going around the internet that when you had it installed on someone elses computer you could view their computer screen in real-time, stuff like this still exists.

[/ QUOTE ]
True - but viewing a specific opponent's cards would imply that you would also need to break into the poker site's system to retrieve the internet addresses of the other players at your table and then somehow get the trojan installed on those user's computers so you could view there screen.

I'm not losing sleep over these "longshot" possibilities.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
True - but viewing a specific opponent's cards would imply that you would also need to break into the poker site's system to retrieve the internet addresses of the other players at your table and then somehow get the trojan installed on those user's computers so you could view there screen.

I'm not losing sleep over these "longshot" possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, you could design a trojan that after infecting a user's computer is designed to notify you when that player is playing online poker at a specific site, say, by sending you information via an IRC channel. You wouldn't need to target specific people, you could just move to the tables of those who were infected after you recieve the information. Now where have I heard of something like that before...
Old 11-02-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, you could design a trojan that after infecting a user's computer is designed to notify you when that player is playing online poker at a specific site, say, by sending you information via an IRC channel.

[/ QUOTE ]
You would still have to identify the recipient as a player, and get it to the computer. Blunt force (trying to send it to everyone who opens an e-mail or a web page) would certainly get noticed fast. I could see someone's "friend" doing this, but that's about it.

The "trojan" in the other thread has been questioned by posters with a background in security. (And others with a background in poker.)
Old 11-02-2005, 03:00 PM

So why does this one guy keep following me around from table to table? Either I suck or he can see my cards.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So why does this one guy keep following me around from table to table? Either I suck or he can see my cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds of an opponent being able to see your cards are astronomically high against.

He probably believes you play poorly and/or he "knows how best to play you."

If you are playing on the Party network, you can remove yourself from being found in a player search. Some other online cardrooms support this as well.