Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Fine Dining Club Ideas

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I happen to live in Mt. Vernon right off Charles St., so I live near and have been to most of the "best" Baltimore restaurants. In brief:

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd add Shogun to this list, though i am not sure how close it is to mt.vernon. it's on N Charles St/Saratoga. not quite fine dining, but very-very-very much worth putting it into rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't been there because I'm not a huge Japanese/sushi fan, but I hear it's excellent if you like that stuff.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:15 PM

This is really the way to go. I think I've posted about this before, so I'll keep this brief. In college, three of us had a genius-level idea: we convinced the school to give us money for the Gourmet Cooking Club. By the end of my senior year, we were getting $800/semester. 6-15 people per meal, a few meals per semester, we paid for the alcohol out of pocket. This turned many of us into very good cooks, and it makes going to fancy restaurants much more enjoyable/interesting.

A few tips:

1) Before you make a dish, read through the whole recipe again. Chop everything up in advance, etc. When you're starting out, you probably can't handle doing three or four thigns at once in the kitchen, so don't. Read the recipe again and think about what you'll be doing and when.

2) We went with themes, rather than working our way through a cookbook. We'd put one or two people in charge of each dish and other folks would help out. This was a good way to pair up good cooks with novices, etc. It also meant that we could make any dish that anyone wanted. By the end, we had the "novices" in charge of most dishes and the more experienced folks wandering around and helping with everything.

3) Spend some time talking to the folks at the wine store. Tell them your whole menu, how many people you have and what your price range is. Ask them what they recommend and why. Take notes. Do this at a good wine store. Moore Brothers was good to us.

4) Keep the cookbook open and keep looking at the recipe. As long as you're willing to do this, you can make just about everything. The exception, in our experience, was dessert. Things that involve melting sugar and candy thermometers can be a lot tricker than you might think, so either start simple or be willing to try a couple of times.

5) Write trip reports and post them.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is really the way to go. I think I've posted about this before, so I'll keep this brief. In college, three of us had a genius-level idea: we convinced the school to give us money for the Gourmet Cooking Club

[/ QUOTE ]

That is genius. Getting some of your student fees kicked backed to you for this is just brilliant.

All the advice you offer would have been relevant to us, too. Dessert worked for the most part, but we had chocolate seize up on us once.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:28 PM

Thanks sg but, I am lazy, and that's not going to change unless I work at it! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I think we've decided to get a Diners Club Card, split the fees, and save 10-20% off the bill. It's only in select places, but theres a long list.

I've been to every restaurant in Bmore too, so maybe I'll start a thread about nice foodie establishments in the area.
When I'm feeling up to it...
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(By the way, John Stevens is by far the finest food in the city.)
Old 11-02-2005, 06:59 PM

What about hiring a chef for a night? Check this website out... some of the prices seem to be in your range

http://www.hireachef.com/

gus
Old 11-02-2005, 07:30 PM

Two of the best kept secrets in Baltimore and one not so well kept.

Windows on the Bay
Top notch!!

The Orient in Towson (best Sushi I’ve ever had!)

Bay Café – Crab Cakes and Shrimp Salad