Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Set: check/raise or lead?

Reads: EP is tricky and semi-lag. His play can range from TAG to xorbie. He will raise upfront with a variety of holdings. LP is pretty weak/tight. I am viewed as tight, but capable of bluffing and semi-bluffing. We all know each other well.

Hero: $95
LP: $90
EP: $100+

Live 100NL, 1/1 blinds, 10 handed.

Hero has 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in BB.

Preflop: EP opens for $7, LP calls, I call, all others fold. (By the way, the $7 open is standard)

Flop (3 players, $22): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero...

Do we like:

1) Lead out with PSB.
2) Overbet the pot.
3) Check/push (looks like a draw?).
Old 11-01-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Set: check/raise or lead?

If it went headsup to the flop and pot was only 14, I check raise because I will often do that with a draw or TJ, QT, J9 here to pick off continuation.

he has a hard time laying down overpair to your checkraise due to flop texture.

since its 3 way and potsize is such that after a flop raise from him, he is pot committed, I like betting 20 here since he likely won't continuation bet against 2 players with missed overs anyways.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do we like:

1) Lead out with PSB.
2) Overbet the pot.
3) Check/push (looks like a draw?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think this is a very draw-heavy board, and I want to protect it.

There's 2 hearts for a flush draw, and with the other opponents most likely holding high cards (possibly QQ, etc), the 9-10 on the board make for some scary straight draws as well.

How aggressive are the other players? If you check, can you guarantee one of them will bet?

If not, go with a full PSB, and push on any re-raise.

If they will bet it for you, check and reraise all in after the bet. There is a lot of money in the pot already with a 7x BB raise preflop!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 PM

with these stacks, i actually like a check-push. if it were much deeper though, i'd prefer a lead.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Given your read on Villian, I think it's likely that she bets in this spot, especially in a shorthanded pot. I would normally checkraise here, but the checkpush seems even better, as it looks like a bet on a draw. Hopefully she'll be holding an overpair or some sort of draw and will decide to call your bet.

If she is likely to raise your bet in this spot, then I prefer a bet, as she is more likely to call your re-raise push after throwing in a raise herself.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:57 PM

1) Lead out with PSB.

2-pair calls or raises. Overpair calls or raises. Straight flush draw calls or raises. Flush draw with a pair calls or raises. A pure flush draw might call, but shouldn't. A lower set raises. TPTK might call or raise if he thinks you're semi-bluffing. The only guys folding are those that wouldn't bet if you check anyway.

So, I say lead out for a pot-sized bet and hope somebody got a good piece of it. I think checking is bad because there is a decent chance everybody checks behind and you give away a free card that either (1) kills your action on later streets (bad), or (2) gives a flush to one of your villains forcing you to hope for a full house on the river (worse).
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM

Stack sizes and relative postion make this a typical spot for a c/r all in. However with LP being weak/tight the realative postion part goes down in value some since he is probably not going to call a bet with a draw unless it's huge and won't be the type to call to take it away on the turn. I think you should really focus on how max off of EP here. You say you know both well so you should be able to come up with which is better. Basically how will he react with an overpair, how likely is he to CB here.

Amoeba I think I disagree that he wouldn't CB here. 3 handed is still pretty short handed and he has 1 weak/tight left to act which he can count on folding a lot I would assume.

FWIW, I think overbetting is the worst of the 3 options with those stacks since so much of your stack will be in it doesn't give EP a chance to make a play. 20ish or c/r all in are much better IMO.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:14 PM

Lets say...

Flop (3 players, $22): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, EP checks, LP checks.

What is Hero's action if the turn is:

a) Broadway heart?
b) Small heart?
c) Offsuit broadway card?
d) Brick?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:25 PM

a-b) I think I'm more inclined to c/c any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], hoping to fill up by the river. I really don't want to be raised off my hand.
c-d)I lead a broadway (non [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])/and a brick.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 PM

You don't try to check/raise the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] figuring that one of your two opponents probably hit it?

I guess that is very FPS.