Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Pet Peeves

I'm running bad and cranky, so its bitch at the forum time for me. Time for some pet peeves.

1. Titles from inexperienced posters. I would say that I can tell whether the OP won or lost the hand they are posting about half the time from the title alone. Titles like "how can I get away from this" or "was this a bad push" should never ever ever be used.

2. Titles from experienced posters. A little creativity guys. I know am I PCed with TPTK might describe the hand fair accurately but meh, its just so boring to look down the subject list and always see the same thing. I like catchy titles.

3. I'm guilty of this one too. It bugs the hell out of me when I take the time to do a full analysis (either with math, or a street by street contingency) and then the next guy comes by and says exactly the opposite without even trying to refute the points I made. I like to think I'm not talking to myself.

4. People who just want to be told what to do. I really hate this one. Way way way too many posters on here post hands because they want to be told what the right decision is, not ebcause they want to figure out how to figure the right decision for themselves.

5. The old guard, me included. I think we all tend to develop relationships with guys who were active on the boards around the same time we started to "get it." I know im particularly guilty of it, in that I make sure to get involved in the threads of posters I like, and know fairly well, specifically guys like Soss, Strassa, Che, Woodguy, Bugstud and a handfull of others. To that end I'm guilty of shortchanging some very good players who maybe I don't pay attention to as much as I should, guys who started posting after I'd been here a while. So guys like Ansky, Exitonly, NoahSD, and the others who generally do good work here but don't get as much credit as the guys with longer tenures. I've just called myself out on your behalf.

Man, running bad turns me into one bitchy woman.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Pet Peeves

Well you should be happy about one thing. Allan Houston retired. I thought that would make your year. Lol. Nice rant.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 PM

I'm on a 17 MTT streak of non-cashes so your post made me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Titles from inexperienced posters. I would say that I can tell whether the OP won or lost the hand they are posting about half the time from the title alone. Titles like "how can I get away from this" or "was this a bad push" should never ever ever be used.

2. Titles from experienced posters. A little creativity guys. I know am I PCed with TPTK might describe the hand fair accurately but meh, its just so boring to look down the subject list and always see the same thing. I like catchy titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I end up reading all threads anyway, because i'm spazzy and never have anything to do, but interesting thread titles definitely make me happier reading hte post.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:25 PM

Old 11-01-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. People who just want to be told what to do. I really hate this one. Way way way too many posters on here post hands because they want to be told what the right decision is, not ebcause they want to figure out how to figure the right decision for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically, one of the reasons I'm not posting that much anymore, I always try to encourage critical thinking, like with my students, give them not just the answers but some pointers so they can work and find the answers by themselves. Time and time again so many good posts just die because people just don't want to do their job and contribute, whatever is some math or some critical analysis that requires some time and not just a quick answer.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm on a 17 MTT streak of non-cashes so your post made me

[/ QUOTE ]

that's nothing.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:42 PM

people that post hands, and just the converted hand history, nothing else
Old 11-01-2005, 07:15 PM

Yeah I agree, #4 is my biggest pet peeve. I was thinking of making a post about that, telling people to stop saying things like "Does he have me beat or not." It's not very insightful strategy wise, and not an interesting thing to discuss usually.

One of the biggest leaps in my game was understanding the reasoning behind all my decisions. I think it is key to becoming a good poker player in general, because although most situations are very unique in one sense, they are often times similar in other ways to other hands you may encounter.

I also haven't posted any hands in a while, mainly cause I'm lazy, but I think I'll start doing some again soon.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like catchy titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

examples?