Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Too aggro with \"small\" advantage?

Would you re-raise fourth given villains early limp position? What about other streets? I think in the past I have been a little passive when I believe my lead is small. This hand is an example of trying to correct that problem. I wonder if it was overdone. Villain is a little loose in my opinion.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.40 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.20 SB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls

5th Street - (3.60 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (5.60 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (7.60 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises___folds

Total pot: (10.60 BB)
Old 10-23-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Too aggro with \"small\" advantage?

I like it all.

Only way he’s ahead is with 6767 or slow played aces (or, even less likely kings or queens…), and with the two pairs he’s only a little ahead. Since he will - probably - also raise there with any medium pair or maybe 6A67 or something, you come out way ahead.
The river is also a clear re-raise - should be lower trips or big two pairs the vast majority of the time.
Interesting that he folded the river. What do you think he was raising with? Small two pairs? Bluff?
Old 10-23-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it all.

Only way he’s ahead is with 6767 or slow played aces (or, even less likely kings or queens…), and with the two pairs he’s only a little ahead. Since he will - probably - also raise there with any medium pair or maybe 6A67 or something, you come out way ahead.
The river is also a clear re-raise - should be lower trips or big two pairs the vast majority of the time.
Interesting that he folded the river. What do you think he was raising with? Small two pairs? Bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually disagree with the river raise actually. Very rarely will he be raised by two pair. Its usually smaller trips, or a 5 card hand.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:01 PM

New to Stud... and this is kinda an old post, but I have a question.

If you didn't have to bring in here, is this an easy fold?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:04 PM

yes, easy fold if not the BI.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:04 PM

I wouldn't reraise the river either. Too often you will look at a completed hand (not two pair). The one advantage of reraising is you probably won't be 4-bet by anything but a full house (depends on the player, a str8 or flush may cap since it's not unlimited bets online). Overall, I'm just calling the raise here typically, unlesss opponent is a big splasher.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually disagree with the river raise actually. Very rarely will he be raised by two pair. Its usually smaller trips, or a 5 card hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the river is a 3-bet.

At a full table it probably is a little closer (because you opponent probably gives you a little more credit for a hand)

But shorthanded I think people can easily over play some hands.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:12 PM

The only problem is that for some players it is just as likely that they value raise/semi-bluff with an open ended straight draw on fourth rather than one or two pair. I can easily see him having 89, 45, or 58 in the hole and getting there on the river. (By the way, if that was your read, you would want to consider check-raising the river.)
Old 10-31-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can easily see him having 89 ... 58

[/ QUOTE ]

really? You can see him limping with 689 or 568?

I would completely ignore these two hands.

I see the opponents play on 3rd and 4th as easily consitent with split 6s, split 6s with an overcard kicker, 2 pair, and an OESD. The play seems kinda consistent with a biggish PP, or split 6s with something like 6678 on 3rd.

Now, because I only see 1 possibility for OESD I'm really thinking this guy has split 6s with overcard or 2 pair.

I'm gonna bet because I think I can get paid off by 2 pair (but won't get ANY action from bare 6s)

I'm also gonna 3 bet because I think the raise is much more likely to come from a higher 2 pair than from a straight or FH(I'm limiting straight options, and a FH is rare)
Old 10-31-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can easily see him having 89 ... 58

[/ QUOTE ]

really? You can see him limping with 689 or 568?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a 3-flush, for sure. Otherwise, maybe not, but still a possibility. I'll agree that, especially with the K and Q behind him, he's more likely to limp with a split pair than a non-suited gapper. Keep in mind that it is 4-handed here, and the opponent has a wider hand range than at a full table.