Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:39 PM

Default A typical river situation that confuses me

Villain in this hand is a LAG fucktard over a small sample of observed hands (basically, this session + a couple orbits while I was waiting for a seat). He hasn't done anything truly maniacal yet, but he's definitely not afraid to throw chips into the pot, and he's definitely not good. I am just starting my second orbit at the table, and have only played one other hand (my first, when I wound up chopping a huge pot with AK vs. his K9 (the river double-paired the board)). So I don't have much of a table image, but what there is, is good.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...?

I'm obviously not folding, but do I raise or call?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: A typical river situation that confuses me

I'd call. The river bet is so weird, but it seems that a high percentage of the time it's either a bluff, worthy of the fucktard he is, or it represents a rivered two pair or something.

The main thing is you do very bad against the range of two pair hands possible here. Villain seems unlikely to donk the river here with just one pair all that often, so I just call down and take a note of what he has.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Call because I'll vomit in rage if I get 3-bet.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:31 PM

His check-call on the flop probably means he doesn't yet have a pair.

His donk on the turn probably means he either picked up a draw with an 8, or he just made a pair with a 9.

His river donk could either be him betting his 9 again, because he doesn't want you to check behind, or it could be he had a straight draw on the turn, and just now picked up a pair (i.e. J8)

It could be an outright bluff, his turned straight draw not getting there, etc.

It could also be runner runner two pair.

So, it it's a bluff, he most likely won't call your raise. If it's a one-pair hand, he will probably call. If it's two pair, you're most likely toast.

So I think a call is better than a raise.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, it it's a bluff, he most likely won't call your raise. If it's a one-pair hand, he will probably call. If it's two pair, you're most likely toast.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I typically go by (and what I did here), but I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on a lot of bets in the long run by not raising enough rivers HU. In this case it likely wouldn't have mattered (he was betting a busted straight draw with 84o), but it seems like there are a lot of times when I flat call and my opponent flips over a decent 1-pair hand, which he would probably have called a raise with.

But, at the same time, I would probably have vomited with rage if I had been 3-bet by a better two pair/runner runner straight. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I typically go by (and what I did here), but I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on a lot of bets in the long run by not raising enough rivers HU. In this case it likely wouldn't have mattered (he was betting a busted straight draw with 84o), but it seems like there are a lot of times when I flat call and my opponent flips over a decent 1-pair hand, which he would probably have called a raise with.

But, at the same time, I would probably have vomited with rage if I had been 3-bet by a better two pair/runner runner straight. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Sklansky, you have to think your hand is good 55% of the time that he calls your raise for a raise to be right. I don't feel that confident here.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to Sklansky, you have to think your hand is good 55% of the time that he calls your raise for a raise to be right. I don't feel that confident here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 08:03 PM

This is another good time to bring up sthief09's theory. Our opponents like to check-call their marginal hands. Therefore, river donkbets are more often bluffs or monsters. So what good is a river raise? If he's FOS he will fold. If he has a big hand he will 3-bet. The only hands you beat here are "marginal," i.e. TPGK, etc. So just call this river bet.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is another good time to bring up sthief09's theory. Our opponents like to check-call their marginal hands. Therefore, river donkbets are more often bluffs or monsters. So what good is a river raise? If he's FOS he will fold. If he has a big hand he will 3-bet. The only hands you beat here are "marginal," i.e. TPGK, etc. So just call this river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so good I'm quoting it twice.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 08:06 PM

It should be edited to say "the only hands you beat here *that will call a raise* are marginal hands" (and he would have check-called that kind of hand).