Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: why no mma to boxing conversions?

[ QUOTE ]
b/c they are different sports, and switching from one to the other isn't that simple. kind of like asking why rugby players don't just become pro football players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:00 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
This is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

and it's also obviously understood. congratulations on your affirmation of the obvious. good post. sports are different from each other and require different skills. it's also probably why they have different names, hadn't thought of that one either.

i'm talking about standing strikers here, with the motivation of money/fame. i would think it would have happened by now, but i guess the mma player pool is just too small.

it's not as literal as a rugby/football thing because you're talking about a huge size variance in addition to a skillset there. with mma->boxing it's an adapted skillset. i would think rugby players would get rolled by 300+ pound juggernauts and would be too balanced/jack-of-all trades to go for any particular football position and excel. rugby to soccer (assuming by football american football was intended) would be a much better analog to the situation i posted.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would think it would have happened by now, but i guess the mma player pool is just too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

or, it could be that the skill difference between the 2 is too much to overcome for the average MMA'er.

I didn't mean to be obnoxious in my original reply - I was simply stating that the simplest answer to your question is probably the correct one. Boxers spend years and years honing their trade, and to expect anyone - even a person with an existing similar skill set - to compete at the world class level is asking an awful lot.

[ QUOTE ]
i would think rugby players would get rolled by 300+ pound juggernauts and would be too balanced/jack-of-all trades to go for any particular football position and excel. rugby to soccer (assuming by football american football was intended) would be a much better analog to the situation i posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree with you here. linebackers, strong safeties, and running backs are all tpositions where rugby players could fit, and their skill set applies directly.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:56 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
I really disagree with you here. linebackers, strong safeties, and running backs are all tpositions where rugby players could fit, and their skill set applies directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not a football and certainly not a rugby guy, but i know the offensive lines are averaging over 300 pounds and getting bigger every year. you still have to be huge to put up with those guys. running back sounds more like the ticket but they would need legs to do it. it just seems like all the rugby players i see are sturdy guys, but relatively lean, and physically geared to handle any aspect (offense, defense, running) well. you'd want a running back to be somebody who runs fast as hell and won't get killed in the process, right? running back i can see, but the defensive line just seems like a death sentence these days unless you're an ogre.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not a football and certainly not a rugby guy, but i know the offensive lines are averaging over 300 pounds and getting bigger every year. you still have to be huge to put up with those guys. running back sounds more like the ticket but they would need legs to do it. it just seems like all the rugby players i see are sturdy guys, but relatively lean, and physically geared to handle any aspect (offense, defense, running) well. you'd want a running back to be somebody who runs fast as hell and won't get killed in the process, right? i think that's a discrepancy in physical makeup too, but the defensive line just seems like a death sentence these days unless you're an ogre.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way could any rugby player play O line or D line.

but, a typical NFL linebacker is probably 6'3, 250, and there are a lot of rugby players this size. rugby players smaller than that are probablty pretty fast guys who would be well suited for Strong Safety. Re: RB's, well, you have guys 180 pound guys, 280 pound guys, and all sorts in between...kind of like rugby.

a typical NFL fullback (which is kind of a dying position) is probably the closest match to an average rugby player.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and it's also obviously understood

[/ QUOTE ]

If the answer was so obvious, then why post the question at all.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm talking about standing strikers here

[/ QUOTE ]

MMA standup isn't as similar to Boxing as you think it is. There is such a thing as a multisport athelete and they do exist in MMA/Boxing, but somebody who is in the top 10th of one percent of one sport might only be in the top one percent of the other. The top heavy weight fighter makes a fortune, but how much does the 50th best heavyweight make. If the best MMA fighter transferred over to boxing and was the 50th best boxer, it would be a great accomplishment, but wouldn't earn him a fortune.

Furthermore, these guys like being top dogs. Chuck Liddel doesn't want to get his ass kicked by Antonio Tarver in a boxing ring anymore than Tarver wants to get his ass kicked in the Octagon.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 PM

Even if the top rugby/mma guys could be top nfl/boxing guys, no one is going to pay them top dollar right away. They'd have to spend a lot of time proving themselves first at a much reduced income. These athletes have a limited amount of time at the top of their profession and it's likely the risk of being a flop isn't worth the years they may have to spend to equal or exceed their previous earnings. I'd guess a lot of low level rugby/mma types attempt to switch to more lucrative sports when they realize they're not going to be upper echelon guys in their initial field, but they're not famous, so no one really cares. Many sprinters and distance runners switch to soccer once it's clear they're no longer/never going to be in the top levels of track athletes, but no one pays much attention except in rare cases.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the answer was so obvious, then why post the question at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't "the answer". that was the leading and obvious reason why it isn't common, it doesn't prove that it shouldn't occur. people have attempted to play multiple professional sports before (baseball and football, basketball and baseball, etc) and the big ones who tried it didn't even have signifigant financial motivation to do so. crossing sports like that is a lot more difficult because of the game differences, not to mention the scheduling.

the post is more of an opening discussion as to how difficult it would be for an mma fighter to convert, who tried it in the past and failed, that sort of thing. please just refrain from posting in the thread. did you honestly think it would be like, "mma and boxing are different." "oh wow! i didn't notice that...thanks for the answer!"
Old 10-21-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if the top rugby/mma guys could be top nfl/boxing guys, no one is going to pay them top dollar right away. They'd have to spend a lot of time proving themselves first at a much reduced income.

[/ QUOTE ]

as a 'regular' player, of course they're going to get backed off if they haven't developed the skills yet. i disagree about not getting paid well though, i'm sure an exhibition/ppv match could generate money if it were priced/marketed well. i think you'd have to have some sort of "player allegiance" thing to get either association to pick it up, with mma being much more likely. somebody like wec would probably be willing to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
These athletes have a limited amount of time at the top of their profession and it's likely the risk of being a flop isn't worth the years they may have to spend to equal or exceed their previous earnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

lots of mma fighters have full-time jobs. many of them complain about not having discipline in their training when they don't have a fight scheduled. there are often large gaps between fights for recovery and hype. i don't think it would be an impossible mission to have them do a lot of boxing training during their downtime. it's not as if it would be wasted time for them either.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:10 PM

A few reasons:

1 - most people start MMA later than boxers start their training, and wouldn't have the time to switch to boxing after - Liddell, for example is way too old.

2 - MMA standup, even for pure strikers, is much different than boxing.

3 - The best strikers in MMA would not EVER rise to elite status in boxing, so why bother? Boxers spend years and years training specific skills to work in a specific sport. MMA fighters spend much less time specifically on boxing, and would be starting from way behind.

The best strikers in MMA would be far worse at boxing, be far less famous, and make far less money if they went over to boxing.