Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-19-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post : Yeah, it\'s been a while, shut up

[ QUOTE ]
Your folding equity was on the turn and you shot your wad. I think betting this river is unwise.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

HU yes, with the 3rd player I think the river is a profitable bet.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:15 AM

Ok, since nobody wants to take a shot at why we're calling the flop I'll do eben though this is very far from my limits (or do all of you think GoT's flop/turn play is that obvious?):

When BB bets the flop I put him a PP or 9 (and maybe a strong draw). We're pretty likely to be outkicked against another 9 so raising another 9 wouldn't good. Also, strong draws could be playing this flop aggressively making it hard for us to play the rest of the hand building a huge pot in a hand where we have no idea where we're at. This motivates a flop call.

We have many cards that can come on the turn which improves our hand. T/9/6/[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for example, but actually this ace also improves our hand. We're no longer behind to K9/Q9/J9 and we have no reason to put any of our opponents on an ace. No draw was completed by the A, KK-TT are not likely holdings for our opponents and we might fold other 9s by raising buying us 1/2 the pot.

So when we're checking the flop, what turn cards are we planning to raise if the action goes bet/call like it did? My guess is A/K/T/9/6. I'm not sure how to proceed if A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls. Call?

We'll that's my thoughts. Hopefully they will at least encourage a discussion.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM

I'm sitting here wondering what a reportedly solid player is calling in the BB with PF, betting on the flop, calling a raise on the turn that would call a bet on the river with something we beat or fold the chop.

Do you suppose he's calling the turn with T9, J9 to fold on the river in a 13BB pot?

Could be.

- Jim
Old 10-19-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have many cards that can come on the turn which improves our hand. T/9/6/ for example, but actually this ace also improves our hand. We're no longer behind to K9/Q9/J9 and we have no reason to put any of our opponents on an ace. No draw was completed by the A, KK-TT are not likely holdings for our opponents and we might fold other 9s by raising buying us 1/2 the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this hand was played very unlike how I'm used to, I'd like to get some more feedback on it: if the turn action went BB check and EMP bet, is this an obvious fold?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting here wondering what a reportedly solid player is calling in the BB with PF,

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 4 way pot he doesn't need to have much to call here. Anything connected. Anything suited. The only thing I'd like ot ditch is an unsuited shitty ace or king or somehitng like this. But a solid players range here should be very, very wide.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 AM

I gather that, you bit off my sentence in mid-stream.

- Jim
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting here wondering what a reportedly solid player is calling in the BB with PF, betting on the flop, calling a raise on the turn that would call a bet on the river with something we beat or fold the chop.

Do you suppose he's calling the turn with T9, J9 to fold on the river in a 13BB pot?

Could be.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

T9s/89s/97s/J9s/88/77. I also bet GoT checks a lot of multiway pots with unimproved Ace high (more than me at least, which means more than 0%). Just as important, GoT's hand looks exactly like a AK/AQ/AJ/AT and such given his flop call and turn raise (why did he wait?--hand protection, no; pot equity, yes) and his image is probably squeaky clean. And, finally, there's the guy with 2 cards behind him who calls with some large frequency. This is a good spot to bet the river to squeeze a chop or maybe even a better hand out because the pot is protected.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:37 AM

I think you can throw out the PPs. And if you think the BB doesn't put the third player on a draw, I can swallow this.

- Jim
Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would limp PF. The turn raise is just spewing. I let it go on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a standard PF-raise in LP w/tight players behind preflop; leverage position and it's a great neutral EV way to mix up your play and keep your opponents off guard in such a game. The turn raise is fine; beyond likely having the best hand, it's a perfect scare card to set up a 9 to fold. BB is likely testing a top pair/draw on the flop and it's either/or for MP. GoTs hand is very vulnerable on the flop so a call closing is fine. GoT has to be the river in order to get the chop-9 to fold.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:38 PM

How was I supposed to know that when he posts it in the small stakes forum? 1/2 means 1/2 to me, when posted on this forum.

Still, I think he should raise that flop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].