Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 01:10 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: BITCH PLEASE. PARTY20. BLIND VS BLIND.

initiative with a pair preflop out of position headsup (thus in a small pot which means folding equity later is less valuable) is worthless, and you're an underdog vs his range, so the cap has no value. you just make yourself a bigger pot out of position.

your cap is excessive and it only leads you to overcompensating later, like with your turn 3-bet. let him 3-bet and take over. if you like the flop, checkraise the flop or turn.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:13 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is very similar to my HU hand with stinkypete.

i like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if that hand was correct that doesn't mean it applies here since there is so so so much metagame going on in HU matches.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes exactly. in a vacuum against an unknown I think this hand sucks
Old 10-14-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if that hand was correct that doesn't mean it applies here since there is so so so much metagame going on in HU matches.

[/ QUOTE ]

what? if you're sitting with a dude for a long time then metagame applies regardless.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seems typical over about 10 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This part intrigues me.

[/ QUOTE ]hmm... maybe you are stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that has already been previously established. But you may need to explain to me how exactly I am stupid this time.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what? if you're sitting with a dude for a long time then metagame applies regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nearly as much and of a completely different form in a 4-handed game.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes exactly. in a vacuum against an unknown I think this hand sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

man i don't know. i would have hated it if he bet the river. but since he didn't the hand is more of a "don't [censored] with me" type deal. i think regardless of whether or not you win this has positive metagame effects.

also he's ahead here at least 50% of the time and he won't be capped on the turn without a monster.

the cap preflop is really marginal and possibly bad "in a vacuum" because it inflates the pot but once again we aren't in a vacuum even in party 20, especially 4 handed.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nearly as much and of a completely different form in a 4-handed game.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course "not nearly as much" but you will be in a TON of pots with this guy and you really need to make sure he knows you're not gonna get pushed around.

im going to dig up some hands from a 4 handed session i had on absolute where some dude started out by 3betting any raise i made and basically pushed me around when i missed every flop. sometimes you just gotta push back.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

man i don't know. i would have hated it if he bet the river. but since he didn't the hand is more of a "don't [censored] with me" type deal. i think regardless of whether or not you win this has positive metagame effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what really doesn't make sense to me. if he's calling the turn 3-bet with A high he'll probably call the river too. you're probably not getting raised by a worse hand since he didn't cap, and the chances that he pays off with a worse hand have got to be greater than the chances that he checks a worse one. all these lead to required bet given a called turn 3-bet. I don't understand at all unless you really expect him to check through with a better hand. maybe I'm underestimating the times he checks through with a better hand.

and the "don't [censored] with me" part is bs. if he has a better hand the OP looks like an idiot. the only way he gets this message across is if the guy has K high. I guess maybe that's why you like to check, to show down the 3s. I don't buy it

[ QUOTE ]
also he's ahead here at least 50% of the time and he won't be capped on the turn without a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

but he's still out of position. I guess you're getting 3 when ahead and 4 when behind instead of 2 when ahead and 3 when behind so it's ok. but also, if he's bluffing, you lose out on a bet in exchange for him folding 6 outs. then also he said he'll call a cap, then then I assume subsequently the river since how often do people cap for a free showdown.

[ QUOTE ]
the cap preflop is really marginal and possibly bad "in a vacuum" because it inflates the pot but once again we aren't in a vacuum even in party 20, especially 4 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

he has 33. he's against pairs and overcards. he's either 50/50 or a huge underdog. I think it's way worse than marginal because of the other reasons I gave.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you bet the river he is calling you with all his acehighs.

[/ QUOTE ]i dont think this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

then why'd he call the turn? pure draw? usually when they get to the river with A high they pay off.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the only way he gets this message across is if the guy has K high.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about J high? or 2 hearts? or a straight draw? or the plethora of other hands he might bluff raise on a raggy board?