Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 PM

Default An eerie silence when I get home

I never understood why kids were so depressed when their pets died. I mean, it's a dog.

At 5pm today, as I prepared to head to a Contracts class today, I got a sad call from my mom to tell me that, while out on a walk with my mom, my dog was killed at the age of 7 by a car as he crossed the street.

I immediately drove home in rush hour traffic, cursing and swearing at every car who dared not to be driving full speed. Ready to shoot anyone who so much as looked at me funny, I made my way home and pulled up to my house. I broke into a run and jumped up the 3 stairs at once.

There, on our front porch and wrapped in a couple towels was the lifeless body of Mac.

I was pretty stoic, staring at him, I peeled back the towels and took a long look at his face. God, he was an awesome dog. I couldn't help but let out a few expletives every few minutes. Other than that, I didn't have much to say, but my mom heard me from inside the house and came out to see me. I immediately ran inside and grabbed everything I could that belonged to him, his toys, his old leashes, and threw them in a garbage bag.

We wrapped him up and met my dad and brothers at the Animal Hospital. With the dog sitting on the table, the Vet came in to talk to us but I didn't really listen. It wasn't until the Vet left us alone for a few minutes that I just collapsed. Staring at the pile of towels on the bench that held my dog was too much.

Bawling my eyes out, I couldn't imagine walking in my front door and not having him run up to say hi. I couldn't imagine not having him on walks following me around no matter where I went. I remember his tail wagging like crazy every time he thought he might get a belly scratch. His sheer joy at the thought of getting a cookie, even if it meant he had to do a variety of ridiculous tricks (no "sit" or "roll over" here) so I could entertain friends. I can't imagine not having him at the end of my bed every night, then, against my rules, having him jump up when he thought I was asleep and lie down next to my feet. I can't believe I won't throwing him any more tennis balls while my mom demanded I stop and then throwing one more. I can't imagine sneaking him upstairs (where his presence is prohibited) when my parents left the house, just so he could hang out while I played online.

I sat at the Vets crying for 10 minutes before regaining my compusure. The drive home my mom and I joked about all the crazy crap he did.

Then we walked in the front door. Within seconds, I was bawling again.

[censored], it just hurts. No other word to describe it.

I guess I understand why people care so much.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: An eerie silence when I get home

My condolences man.

Too many pets dying around here lately. Extra treats for the girls when I get home tonight.

I am so sorry for your loss. This is so sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I know exactly what you mean. I used to not know why people cared about this either until I a couple weeks ago.

Let's just say that my dog showed signs of cancer the vet said on Sunday. This was a complete shock. This had been the most healthy dog ever - never a problem. I come home for lunch on Monday and my dog starts having violent convulsions and was throwing herself into the wall. It was a horrible sight to see.

Needless to say...

Sorry man [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 09:53 PM

Sorry man. It sucks. been there. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 09:57 PM

That sucks, I'm sorry. I lost my dog almost 2 years ago and not a day goes by that i don't miss the little guy.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:58 PM

Yes this sucks.

I can remember like it was yesterday when I got home from my HS dance to learn that my dog has disappeared. A few days later after placing an add I got the call from someone who had witnessed my dog being hit and killed by a car. It does hurt very much as many of us can relate to.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:59 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] sucks for sure. I've always had to (try to) remain emotional detached from family pets because I knew I'd have to be the one to 'do the deed' if the time ever came...

Sorry for your lose.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM

The thing about a dog is that there are never any negatives, no arguments, no fights, he'll never leave you. You just love each other. Hang in there, I know it's not 'just a dog'.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:02 PM

RIP

My cat is getting up there in years. He's like legend between me and my friends (because he has attacked almost all of them). I don't know what I'll do without em.