Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Should I play LAG and checkraise?

Ok, maybe this hand is not at all interesting, if that is the case and this is totally standard I apologize. The circumstances are what matter here. In this hand I am UTG; I am pretty sure I have raised the pot every hand since I was on the button. I have yet to be reraised pre-flop and have not gone to showdown this orbit. However, earlier I showed (and implied) some big bluffs and made some big calls where my hand was good on a scary board. Not to brag, but I was running game. Anyway, the hand (Villain is 21 VPIP, 10 PFR over 61 hands)...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($344.20)
CO ($112.95)
Button ($197)
SB ($159)
BB ($107.43)
Hero ($708.71)
UTG+1 ($175)
MP1 ($266.90)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $70</font>, Button calls $50.

Flop: ($143) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $75</font>

Like it? Hate it?

I am very confident I have the best hand after the flop and I thought maybe I should check and let Villain hang himself, but it just felt wrong to check here when I had been fast playing absolutely everything.

This was literally my last hand at the table, so image/meta-game considerations should probably go out the window. Yes/No?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Should I play LAG and checkraise?

with stats like that, if he doesnt have pocket pair. he has you beat.. your playing AJ very aggressively outta position???
if you've been playing very LAG then he may have AQ as well...
i play a little tighter
Old 10-07-2005, 07:01 AM

I'm not entirely sure you're best here, but if you think so, that bet is good. Maybe a little more looks more like a steal. But this is really more dependant on your feel of the guy than anything.

EDIT: I'd be basing this decision almost entirely on how villian had seen you play missed flops before. That and wether he's the timid type or the "God I want to break this guy" type.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:02 AM

I hate that preflop reraise. What do you think a tight player is RERAISING with? I hope it was JJ, QQ, KK, otherwise this would be an embarassing hand. Maybe even worth posting...

With the action looks like exactly AQ and there was no way you could win. Flop bet is fine, he will probably feel committed with KK or QQ.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 AM

AJo isn't really a hand you want to play OOP against a reraise.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:52 AM

AJo is like the worst hand ever to play against a reraiser with.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AJo isn't really a hand you want to play OOP against a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-07-2005, 11:17 AM

i say check-call, lead turn (or maybe just check-call all the way down) to get the most from KK-JJ

congratulations on either hitting your 3-outer or hitting the case A against AA or AK
Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Hero is posting this because he outdrew a big PP when he was in full-chest-puff mode running the table. When you're running good and play AJ like this, villain has Jacks; when you're running bad, villain has AK.

AJ to a reraise PF OOP is a fold against all but the biggest donks, that has already been said. I think hero knows this but it was his last hand and he was on a roll and having fun and even if he doubled villain up, he still leaves with a tidy profit.

But congrats on the big ending to your night by busting Queens with one over. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 12:25 PM

What has happened to this forum? Things have really gone downhill. Seems like I have to sift throught a mountain of complaints to find a modicum of advice. Of course I know AJo sucks, in basically any position. I was not playing the cards pre-flop. I only had 61 hands on villain, and he was on the button, and I had been playing LAG, so I put him on a steal pre-flop (ie I am not really playing my cards, I am playing his). I know that play was hyper aggressive and I did not want the call that I got.

Anyway, my question was about the flop bet which few of you gave advice about, and sincere thanks to those who did but to those with nothing to say why not say nothing.

Maybe this could of been a brag post if I stacked villain, but he folded relatively quickly (I agree his most likely holding is a PP, but he clearly did not feel pot committed) and I left the table as had been my intention before the hand started.

To address one of the few people giving real advice, I don't know if anyone at the table noticed, but I was continuation betting basically 100% of the time for roughly half to 3/4 pot. Earlier I had gotten a little tricky for the benefit of one specific opponent, but generally it was non-stop full speed ahead. I was just saying I think I have to bet the flop just cause it is a big tell to bet when you miss and check when you hit.

Edit: Also fom the title you might think I would appreciate some general thoughts on playing LAG and checkraising or checking in general with my image and this pre-flop action, but if you just want to tell me to be a weak-tight nit, well ok I can play that way too.