Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Execution

I've been writing down hands when I play, and the thing I see over and over in them is that I am not executing properly the way I used to. An example hand from my notes is this:

I have 85s in the BB and call a button open raise against a not-too-aggressive player. Flop is 843, two spades and my check-raise gets 3-bet. I decide to bet-fold a non-spade turn and check-fold a spade turn. The turn is an offsuit T. I bet. I get raised. I... call.

I used to have no problem pitching it there. I made the decision on how to play the hand on the flop, but then changed my mind midway. Any thoughts on how to begin listening to myself again? I am thinking A poker thoughts but playing B poker plays. I've been running super good for the past 5k hands or so, but I am playing pretty bad. I leave each session pretty disgusted about a bunch of the plays I made.

Any thoughts? Al? I'm really at a loss-- it just sort of left me all at once. I feel like a pitcher with no command. Maybe a sports psychologist might be a good place to look.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Execution

[ QUOTE ]
I decide to bet-fold a non-spade turn and check-fold a spade turn. The turn is an offsuit T. I bet. I get raised. I... call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not the sharpest crayon in the box, so bear with me but I don't understand this at all. What were trying to accomplish? I don't understand this play at all. Did you put him on a bigger pair, did you think he had a better flush draw or did you think the T killed you??
Old 10-05-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Execution

Avoid giving a free card to overcards.