Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-05-2005, 06:37 AM

Default This is a problem, but not the bulk of it.

This is a small problem, but not the biggest problem with guns in America. The problem is that many people in America are so fascinated by guns, and many more feel they are so necessary for public defense.

A good question to be asking ourselves is: Why do so many feel that guns are necessary in our society? Why is there such a large criminal class in the 'richest country in the world'?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Re: A fine reason to ban weapons

[ QUOTE ]
Specially as the freedom to own weapons is an invented freedom (kind of like the invented right of abortion)

[/ QUOTE ]

The freedom to own weapons is not an "invented freedom".

Rather, legal or societal restrictions placed upon the possession of ANYTHING are invented restrictions.

Why isn't this plainly, clearly, and stark-staringly obvious?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:01 AM

Not good enough.

I have lived in homes for nearly five decades and have never once felt the need to own a gun. I also suspect I have lived in a lot more dangerous places than most posters on this forum. I offer three years in Johannesburg as one example.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is simply no reason for a normal person to own a gun

[/ QUOTE ]

Home defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good enough.

I have lived in homes for nearly five decades and have never once felt the need to own a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good enough for YOU, you mean. However there do exist many normal persons who are not like ACPlayer.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In our society today the risk/reward for consumer goods is managed by the tort laws. When a fuel tank explodes in a car there is a lawsuit because of the injury.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same laws apply to firearms. They should not apply to properly functioning firearms used in the hands of careless or irresponsible individuals. Thank goodness we have laws going through Congress to address the stupidity of these lawsuits.

[ QUOTE ]

We have reached the point with guns that there is no management of the risk/rewards for the gun industry. If the gun industry does not want child locks (it may add a few dollars to the cost) the NRA and the gun nuts trot out their mis-interpretation of the second amendment and the pols fall into place.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no NEED to have to sell with a child safety lock. And I don't want some idiot in congress coming along and telling me that I have to USE the safety lock against my will. Thus, rendering my firearm USELESS in the moment of need.

[ QUOTE ]

As there is no sanity in the pro-gun camp, the only sane position is to be against gun ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the other way around. The gun control camp has no evidence that their policies do anything to help the problem of gun violence in America. They are ineffectual and ignorant.

[ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, I don't know a single person who owns a weapon. And most of them are highly intelligent people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is part of your problem. Do you presume to have knowledge about an item that you have no experiance with or know people with knowledge of a firearm. Please take an NRA course SHOOTING firearms. I'll even pay for it for you. If you still feel like they can't be used responsibly, I will give you more respect because at least you tried firearms and are more well informed.

[ QUOTE ]

There is simply no reason for a normal person to own a gun (and yes, IMO, that includes hunting animals, or displaying on a wall).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is simply casuistic, cockeyed, dopey, fallacious, false, far out, fatuous, faulty, groundless, hollow, implausible, inconclusive, incongruous, inconsequent, inconsistent, incorrect, invalid, irrational, mad, meaningless, nutty, preposterous, screwy, senseless, sophistic, sophistical, specious, spurious, unconnected, unproved, unreasonable, unscientific, unsound, unsubstantial, untenable, wacky, without basis, and without foundation in rational thought.

I expected you to use your mind better AC. You have some great points and logical reasoning in your defense of the Kelo case (still disagree) and eminent domain. Whats the catch on this one?

-Gryph
Old 10-05-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have reached the point with guns that there is no management of the risk/rewards for the gun industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they make a defective product, they can be held liable. If someone directs their product in a manner that it injures someone without malfunctioning, why would they be liable? If I attack someone with a circular saw and kill them, is the circular saw manufacturer liable?

[ QUOTE ]
As there is no sanity in the pro-gun camp, the only sane position is to be against gun ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because you can find a crazy person that supports something, the only "sane" course of action is to oppose it? That's pretty obviously poor logic.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have lived in homes for nearly five decades and have never once felt the need to own a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had the need to use a fire extinguisher. I guess keeping one in my house is a waste.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've never had the need to use a fire extinguisher. I guess keeping one in my house is irresponsible, dangerous and will cause me to go crazy on someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Gryph
Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what's the reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

To reduce the rate of death by accidental discharge of a firearm.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brother shot by sister

The case is being reviewed by the county prosecutor and the Missouri Child Fatality Review Program to determine whether any charges will be filed against the parents, Reinsch said.

The parents should be fried. I recommend the death penalty. Too bad it was not in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, because of someones stupidity and irresponsibility we are supposed to ban weapons?

Put the blame where it's due. Stop being an idiot and realize weapons are not the problem.