Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why, primarily, do you play online poker?
To make money 209 78.57%
To learn new things 7 2.63%
For entertainment 24 9.02%
To escape problems in my life 4 1.50%
For self-esteem 1 0.38%
I am a gambling addict 9 3.38%
I don't know 8 3.01%
Other 4 1.50%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Greatest War Movie of All Time - Elite Eight

[ QUOTE ]
You are totally wrong here. Totally. Of all the Nam flicks I've seen (not all of them, for sure, but over a dozen at least), Platoon is the closest to my experiences.

Wonder if any other Nam vets care to chime in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not in vietnam, but I've been to war. I'm specifically referring to combat scenes. Other films like Pvt. Ryan's opening scene or Blackhawk Down really put me on edge. Platoon did nothing like this to me. But I don't know specifically it was about Platoon that you found realistic.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:55 AM

I still suspect it's political in your case.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still suspect it's political in your case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are totally wrong here. Totally. Of all the Nam flicks I've seen (not all of them, for sure, but over a dozen at least), Platoon is the closest to my experiences.

Wonder if any other Nam vets care to chime in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not in vietnam, but I've been to war. I'm specifically referring to combat scenes. Other films like Pvt. Ryan's opening scene or Blackhawk Down really put me on edge. Platoon did nothing like this to me. But I don't know specifically it was about Platoon that you found realistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

What put me on edge was the ambush scene, those damn dinks creeping up on you at night in the boonies.

The shiit burning detail. The shotgun shotgun. The bugs, those fackin bugs. The juicers and heads. The friendships. The recently deserted NVA base camp. The lifers. The fog.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:57 PM

First, I don't think your evaluation of the movie is very fair. It also seems very firm, as if more than a mere movie is being discussed or involved. Just a feeling.

That feeling comes also from certain past posts which sounded like catch phrases or sound bites of the right wing, which hates Oliver Stone with a passion and still often finds criticism of the Vietnam war offensive. Therefore, criticism of the Vietnam war by Oliver Stone gets some of those types in an uproar, even though he went and many if not most of them didn't.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, I don't think your evaluation of the movie is very fair. It also seems very firm, as if more than a mere movie is being discussed or involved. Just a feeling.

That feeling comes also from certain past posts which sounded like catch phrases or sound bites of the right wing, which hates Oliver Stone with a passion and still often finds criticism of the Vietnam war offensive. Therefore, criticism of the Vietnam war by Oliver Stone gets some of those types in an uproar, even though he went and many if not most of them didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, no. Not at all. I personally have mixed feeling about the war. It's honestly been quite awhile since I've seen it, bit I just thought it was a very hokie movie.

It's interesting you mention that though. Maybe 15 years ago what you say may have been true about me. But that's not at all what I'm basing my evaluation on.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:18 PM

OK, fair enough. Was just a feeling.