Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Daniel Negreanu needs to play more poker.

He doesn't seem to even remember how to play Hold 'Em anymore:

[ QUOTE ]

Ted called the turn and the river brought another 6, for a final board 6-6-4-A-6. I checked and made it rather obvious (at least to me) that I didn’t like that card. I figured that my A-Q was probably in the lead, unless of course Ted had A-K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken from:
http://cardplayer.com/poker_magazine...amp;m_id=65573

He also managed to be T3000 into a T40000 pot on the turn.

Just reading some more actually, wtf does this mean:

[ QUOTE ]

“Well, there is $600 in the pot and he’s bet $200. That means I’m getting 4-1 odds that he’s bluffing. I have no choice, I have to call.”

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the feeling that he's not just "running bad" this year, and is in fact a donkey now.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu needs to play more poker.

kinda feels like that kind of paragraph should be followed by something like

"That's right, Lon, and thats exactly what my 53rd ex-wife said when I said I wanted a divorce!"

"That's right, Lon, and thats exactly what my 53rd ex-wife said when I said I wanted a divorce!"

Old 09-29-2005, 05:37 AM

wtf?????
Old 09-29-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf?????

[/ QUOTE ]

HE SAID:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:19 AM

HAHAHAHA, I dont know how the hell that triple posted

but Im having to use stinking internet explorer to view the forums instead of my beloved mozilla firefox (it seems to not want to bring up the forums), and so Im sure that that had something to do with this.

I hate IE

but omg, gob, that post made me laugh for like 30 minutes.

thanks for ending my night on a good note. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He also managed to be T3000 into a T40000 pot on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the article he describes that bet as "goofy" and intended it to be "like a check" (although what that means, I have no idea).

I'm more concerned with the fact that as he's recalling the Ted Forrest hand (Forrest= AA Board= 664A6), he corrects Howard Lederer when Lederer said that Forrest made a good check because "There was a fifty-fifty chance that he was walking into four sixes." This is, of course, incorrect - he's presumably saying it because there are only the case 6 and the case ace left, and for his opponent to call he'd have to have one of the two (however, this does help you better understand why Forrest made the check in the first place, instead of it seeming to be an indication that he'd completely lost his mind). As it turns out, the only way for it to be fifty-fifty for Forrest to run into quads would be if DN would call in the small blind with some bizarre range like {AK-AQ, A6, 76-65}.

But then after correctly explaining why it was nowhere near fifty-fifty for Forrest to run into quads, Negreanu says that Lederer made this mistake not because of a simple math error but because a math-centric approach to the game won't take into account an opponent's "mood and playing style", when you didn't have to know anything about his mood or playing style to know that even your strongest read on his emotional state wouldn't give you enough of a chance that he has the six to consider checking. It looks to me like it was a simple error in forgetting to establish someone's range, not in failing to see into their soul. For some reason Negreanu seems to be rather inclined to give credit for his analysis not to conditional probability and common sense, but to The Force.

Oh, by the way, if you think he's a donkey because of one board misread, there's a great money-making opportunity currently available to you.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:07 AM

yeahhhhh, Im gonna go ahead and assume that the TOYOTA PLAYER OF THE YEAR isnt gonna be turned into a donk by anything short or 50 years of not playing, alztheimers (sp), and some very "Days of Our Lives" amnesia.

I just thought that the quote sounded like some hot ESPN commentary, or maybe cheap seats.