Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 08:28 AM

Default 89s

Villians are unknown.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2. UTG+1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 (poster) checks, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

I think there's a lot that could be said about every street in this hand.

Release the hounds!!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: 89s

Well, I never like to check twice in a hand without check-raising at least once. I can understand playing very passively in a small pot since it is really no big deal if anyone draws out on you, but I think at some point you need to decide whether you are ahead or behind here and make some of the others in the hand pay to draw. Your hand is good a substantial percentage of the time, but the passivity you've shown doesn't give you any clue as to where you stand.

i do think, though, when it is bet and called to you on the turn, you either need to raise or fold. If you're behind, you're getting just short of the correct odds to draw out against a jack. If you're behind to someone with an eight, you're in big trouble. I think you need to decide that you're ahead or behind at this moment and make a commitment. You have UTG+2 who is on some sort of draw and you should get some money from him while he is still drawing.

also, if UTG+1 raises after you check-raise the turn and lead the river, i think you can probably give some good thought to folding. with your line, you have to pay off a river raise from UTG+1 and still have no idea where you are until he shows his cards. i think the way you played it lets you win less when you're ahead and lose more when you're behind.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 AM

I'd bet out on the flop.

I think you could've gone for a CR on the river. Theres some chance you might be outkicked, but you also would have UTG+2 trapped if he calls.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:39 AM

I'd prefer to lead out the whole way. What was your reasoning for check-calling?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:47 AM

The only reason to not bet out on the flop is if you are going to check raise. If you are ahead you are barely ahead and thus you have a small edge. This is a good opportunity to pass on a small edge to try and get a larger edge later in the hand. A check-raise would be pointless here unless it was for value, because any of these people that have a flush draw would call and anyone else with top pair or better would call. The best option here is to bet out and hope that it thins the field or you get some information. I really dislike the check-call here.

The jack hitting is bad but like we read in SSHE you can't always assume the worst, bet out here and see what happens.

When the river hits you got your money card and although you may be able to get a check-raise in if you are against some aggressive players, I like the lead-out here.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:17 AM

Hey crunchy...this one had me thinking quite a bit.

On the flop, I think the check is okay. Five ways, it's unlikely to get checked through, so you're not often going to be giving free cards to overs. But if the bet comes from late position, you can then raise and protect your hand a little bit. Since the bet came as early as it did, though, just calling is fine.

The turn is where I have questions. I'm not too worried that the jack has put you behind in the hand, but at this point you're probably committed to showing down, as long as it only costs you at most a bet on each street. Why not try to steal the pot from a better 8?

How to do it is the question. A check-raise may be more convincing than a bet, but it also could get expensive.

I like betting out, although it may be an unpopular line. If you're raised, you can dump it (although I suppose the fact that UTG+1 posted makes it a little more likely that you have some hidden outs against a goofy hand like 62), but it just may get a better 8 to fold.

If you're called, hmmm. I guess I still need to think about that. So maybe this plan kind of sucks after all. I should probably just not post this, but maybe it will garner some discussion.

-McGee
Old 09-23-2005, 11:30 AM

I actually like every street on this hand.

Was your intent to check on the flop and raise a late position bet? Given that the bet comes from a fairly early position there isn't a lot of merit in raising here. We only protect our hand vs 1 player, and even if we are ahead right now there are likely a lot of outs against us. Equity wise we are probably close to even, so I don't think we need to value raise here.

When the turn comes we are possibly beat, but since the same player bets out we have no real reason to believe this card helped him, and nobody raises so our hand is still possibly good. Our situation is still marginal and I don't think raising really has much merit again.

The river changes everything, I think a bet here is necessary. If villian's were drawing or betting ace high then this could easily get checked through. I would bet and call a raise. If someone raises I have a hard time seeing how they don't have a better 8, or even a fullhouse.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:34 AM

This was close to my thinking. I was planning to c/r the flop but, when the bet came from the 2nd poster (and everyone called) I decided to call along and see the turn.

I think the turn is the really debateable street. I'm not sure that I like c/r-ing or leading because a raise behind me has a good chance of me making an incorrect play (whether that play is folding/calling/raising).
Old 09-23-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a raise behind me has a good chance of me making an incorrect play (whether that play is folding/calling/raising).

[/ QUOTE ]

what incorrect play are you worried about making? isn't your turn decision based on pot odds?

-McGee
Old 09-23-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was close to my thinking. I was planning to c/r the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

In a small pot, is this really necessary? I usually reserve this sort of play for a 10-bet pot where leading doesn't protect my hand.